News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Kitty Hawk - First Flight  (Read 2267 times)

donv

• Administrator
Kitty Hawk - First Flight
« on: August 14, 2021, 12:34:20 am »
I was visiting my son in Virginia this past week, and he was interested in going for a quick trip in the 980. We decided on going to Kitty Hawk to see the Wright Brothers monument and museum. They have a 3000 foot runway there with GPS approaches to both ends. The approach to 21 was a little sporty with high power lines off the end, but otherwise it was pretty easy. Oh, and there was a lot of low altitude traffic along the beach.

Having seen lots of pictures of the early Wright flights, it was not at all what I was expecting. First of all, the area is quite built up. Secondly, the sand dunes are basically invisible, since they have planted grass and trees on them to stabilize them. That said, it was still something to see the takeoff rail and then the markers for each of their flights on level ground.

Then we walked to lunch at a little brewpub that was not far-- maybe 15-20 minutes.

All in all, I think it was well worth visiting.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Kitty Hawk - First Flight
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 06:16:54 pm »
Glad your bird is up and running again, Don. Hopefully the lightness of your wallet hasn't taken all the fun out of it! :)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:36:14 pm »
Not so far!

JMA

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 11:28:43 am »
Paint job looks great Don.