News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Clamshell Doors  (Read 3471 times)

Steve binnette

Re: Clamshell Doors
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 12:38:58 pm »
Fantastic, I love it. 

Interesting mounts for your inreach and your iPad.  What is that on your yoke grips?

I believe the tech adds a lot to the safe operation of your plane.  You do need to use it regularly or at least watch some you tubes to keep it fresh in your mind.

Keeping up with and understanding the updates is also key.  They add some cool features with the updates.

I bet if you were to compare the costs of  your 414 to the commander based on miles flown not hours you would find the commanders looks much better.
Miles are the real measurement anyway.

kent4142

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 05:57:43 pm »
You didn't ask, but I thought I would share this also.  I can't say enough good things about the Commander line of aircraft.

Thanks for the kudos. 

Like Adam said, I can talk all day about Commanders - if I can find people who will listen!   :D

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 06:31:34 pm »
Looks like you have leather on your control columns?

I think I might do that on my airplane. The control columns take a beating from getting in and out, and mine look pretty bad-- the paint is all scratched up. Leather seems like it would be more durable.

kent4142

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 06:42:09 pm »
That is actually goat skin.  I wanted to cover the yokes and it seemed too complicated to get them done anywhere.  I decided to try making some for myself.  I tried some black leather, but I found the leather too thick.  The goat skin is thinner and seems to work just right.  I put a leather wrap kit on my 79 BMW when I was a youngster, and I just fashioned my own for the airplane and laced them up like the cover on my car.

That is about the limit of my craftiness!

appleseed

• 500S
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 08:23:21 pm »
Just noticed this thread on clamshell doors. Back in the 90's, I was flying a 690 with doors that were later removed. I'm kind of nerdy when it comes to tracking any changes which affect cruise/top speed. To my surprise, the loss of doors had no detectable affect on cruise speed.

I can't speak to any changes to noise/vibration as I only sat in the front with my headset on.

Funny how a little thing like gap seals makes a difference, and a big thing like gear doors does not.