News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Anyone here still flying piston version?  (Read 7453 times)

WilsonRiggan

Re: Anyone here still flying piston version?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 03:57:51 pm »
I have one of the last 685's still flying, although the fuel/air system components that make the -K version of the GTSIO-520 engines unique are getting harder to maintain.

It is comfortable and a joy to fly.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 11:25:38 pm »
I have one of the last 685's still flying, although the fuel/air system components that make the -K version of the GTSIO-520 engines unique are getting harder to maintain.

It is comfortable and a joy to fly.

Nice to see someone keeping them going! She looks like a beauty!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

appleseed

• 500S
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 02:09:08 am »
Hey Wilson,

Some of us are fascinated by the geared commanders, tell us more.

speeds? climb, cruise, approach.

power settings? fuel flows

flight profiles? cruise altitude choice

useful load? fuel capacity

operating cost? maintenance challenges you've had

Systems? air conditioning, must be a combustion heater etc.

Kzastrow1

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 12:08:53 pm »
I really appreciate all of the replies.  Other  airplanes of similar age (Duke, 421, Aerostar) seem to have avid lovers and avid haters.  The 500B/Shrike seems to primarily garner affection from the entire aviation community.  I think that says a lot about the airplane. 

Sergio Vega

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 07:01:10 pm »
After five years since I bought N6517V and going through four different shops, it seems that I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Only the last two shops I can say that are good and honest and worth what they charge (De Britton in Chino, CA., and SoCal Jet Services in Long Beach, CA.). All in all, I've spent more than what the airplane cost me in 2016, but I was not willing to part it out. The airplane is now at SoCal Jet Services. Between other things, I got the props overhauled, got the landing gear overhauled, got the A/C working and it seems that the pressurization is fixed. I'm supposed to get the airplane back this weekend and I can't wait. Picture is of me landing in Long Beach in August of this year. 

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 08:56:51 pm »
It’s great to see classic and cool designs flying. For piston models other than a 500B-S type, I appreciate how challenging it is to support them.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2021, 12:45:13 am »
After five years since I bought N6517V and going through four different shops, it seems that I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Only the last two shops I can say that are good and honest and worth what they charge (De Britton in Chino, CA., and SoCal Jet Services in Long Beach, CA.). All in all, I've spent more than what the airplane cost me in 2016, but I was not willing to part it out. The airplane is now at SoCal Jet Services. Between other things, I got the props overhauled, got the landing gear overhauled, got the A/C working and it seems that the pressurization is fixed. I'm supposed to get the airplane back this weekend and I can't wait. Picture is of me landing in Long Beach in August of this year.

So glad you're finally seeing the light at end of tunnel, Sergio! We've both been through the ringer by now with various players, as you know. I hope you get to fly her often and lot! I flew my girl to Chino last night after a few months of not flying, and except for L EGT gauge and R gear light acting up, it was all good. So nice to be back in the air!

sbdpilot

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 09:32:12 am »
I have a great 500A with colemill conversion. Low time airframe, well equiped, props with no AD note and it's just now going up for sale. Jim Buckley 678-457-3507 for specs.

DarylW

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 11:11:15 am »
not trying to whine… but I am still waiting for the prop shop to find a serviceable hub for N11L my 1953 AC 520…6th month…
HC-83X20-2c/8433 3 blade feathering….
any ideas…
Adam suggested Capt JimBob… but I couldn’t find contact info
any help would be very much appreciated
she is sitting outside my mechanic’s hanger in Lodi enduring these wonderful winter storms with just a Bruce cover….
Daryl W
text-call
KSCK
A pilot is only as good as his next landing

Badger

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 07:44:13 am »
Hello there Adam,

I'm a Happy 500B guy. Where ever you go, someone usually walks up and says I love the the Commanders and wishes they had one.   

Same experience here...  I love my 500B.  Where do you fly out of?
Ed
Ed

Ray787

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 03:42:15 pm »
Good morning Ed & Adam,

I agree with you guys!

It’s kind of a good feeling...Someone usually will always come out, walk around and say I love the Aero Commander.

I LOVE our 500B, It's been my dream airplane... never ever thought I would be lucky enough and be able to have one. I'm fortune enough to say that I met Bruce Byerly through Bob Mays and help me find the perfect commander for me.

Would love to have a Commander fly-in somewhere out in the west. I'm in Arizona

Although I think Bruce might have the ultimate 500 Commander now.... ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 07:56:07 pm by Ray787 »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 04:37:20 pm »
I really admire you guys who are still operating the big geared pistons. Talk about a labor of love!

Popeye

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 12:27:28 pm »

Well....I truly enjoy Flying my 680F with the big geared engines. Just flew it out for lunch to Venice, FL. Its just another level.......I will go to fly in from South Fl. anyone??

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2023, 11:34:36 am »
I'd consider a GO/GSO-480 engined Commander again as the parts are plentiful for that engine, but not a GO-435 or any of the weirder ones, like the one in the 560F and 685 (I think the 560F engine was only installed in that aircraft). Too much headache.

Big Pistons Forever

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2023, 11:07:28 pm »
I have always thought the 680E was the one that most tugged at my heartstrings.