News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Caribbean circuit  (Read 5116 times)

Ndege

Caribbean circuit
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:39:12 pm »
Good day all,

Just got back from a trip around the Caribbean. Left Bend, Oregon October 7th, back home November 16th. 5 islands in the Bahamas /Provo, Turks and Caicos / Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic / San Juan, Puerto Rico / Guadeloupe / Bonaire / Oracabessa, Jamaica / Cozumel, Mexico / Brownsville, TX and home. 20 legs, 36 hours in all, no squawks, all starts on battery. Will write a detailed review of the trip shortly. If anyone needs information on any of these locations let me know and I will pass all the info that I have.
Cheers,
Peter

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Caribbean circuit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 12:38:22 am »
Sounds amazing - look forward to reading that!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 02:38:04 pm »
Sounds like fun! I want to get back to the Bahamas with the 980 at some point (been twice), but for now I have to settle for Palm Desert.

Looking forward to your writeup!

aholmes100

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 01:38:14 am »
Peter would love to know about your travels and this trip sounds amazing. Please share the experience any issue at any of the FBO's.

JMA

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 10:53:17 am »
Sounds like an awesome trip.

DonV, swing by Staniel Cay, grab a burger at the local bar/restaurant on your next Bahamas trip.

We just did a run to Puerto Rico.   Could have made it non-stop San Juan- PHL but made a pit stop to drop some passengers off. 
Had some good tail winds coming back Charlotte-PHL though-
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N515AM

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 11:32:00 am »
Sounds like an awesome trip.

DonV, swing by Staniel Cay, grab a burger at the local bar/restaurant on your next Bahamas trip.

We just did a run to Puerto Rico.   Could have made it non-stop San Juan- PHL but made a pit stop to drop some passengers off. 
Had some good tail winds coming back Charlotte-PHL though-
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N515AM

Nice - that' a long overwater run, Jason!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 12:14:30 pm »
I would like to go back to the Bahamas some day, but I don't see that for a long time. We just got a place in California, so I think that's where we will be going for the foreseeable future.

I do seem to be getting to the northeast a couple of times a year, though, so we'll have to stop in to PHL and see you sometime.

JMA

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 07:42:36 am »
Don would make my year if we could link up.  Keep me posted.

Ndege

Re: Caribbean circuit first part - Bahamas
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »
Caribbean Air Cruise 2021  Oct 7 – Nov 16

Routing:
OCT 7 / KBDN – KAPA – KHAM – KFXE 8.8 HRS
Great stops at TAC Air - TOP GUN – BANYAN FBO’S – ALL CAA for great fuel prices and basically zero other charges. Banyan FBO has probably the World’s best Pilot shop – worth the visit just for that.
OCT 8 / KFXE – MYBC   .7 HRS
Filed EAPIS only an hour before departure. Busy airport, think we were 7th for takeoff. IFR departure up to 2,000 feet with great views of the spectacular coast, city, and marinas. Top altitude was 13,000feet – but short flight all with Miami Center. Would be with Miami center on all IFR flights until leaving Puerto Rico. Cancelled IFR leaving 7,000 feet on descent into our first Bahama stop, Chub Cay in the Berry Islands. This airport and all others except Nassau and Freeport are uncontrolled and operate as in the US. All are on 122.8 with the usual reporting and pattern joining – all traffic is left hand in the Bahamas.
Chub Cay has a beautiful resort, whitewashed colonial style with very nice beachfront cottages. A great marina. But it is a tiny island and if you want more that simply relaxing to get into the Island vibe or fishing is your passion then probably Bimini or one of the other islands may be a better first stop.
The airport has a small building housing: Immigration, Customs and Ops. You will need your passport, General Declarations and Bahamas Covid approval (all done on the internet). All this is checked, you get your cruising permit stamped, and for all domestic flights in the Bahamas this (cruising permit) is all you will need to show and get stamped at each stop.
The hotel picks us up via Golf Cart and we spend a couple days, checking the island out, swimming in the warm waters, relaxing on the beach, enjoying cocktails, and generally slowing down to the Island speed.
No other aircraft came or went during our stay.
Cost was $50 landing, $50 for aircraft entry and that was it. No fuel or any services

OCT 10 / MYBC – MYAM .8 HRS
All our flights within the Bahamas were VFR low level; 500-3,000 feet. Never filed a flight plan or got flight following – only the usual monitoring and announcing positions on 122.8. These services are available if you want. The flights throughout the Islands were truly spectacular- the ever-changing colors of the seas from almost white of the shallows where you can often sport marine life cruising about, to deep navy blue in the depths. Puffy white Cu’s overhead and the ever-present trade winds make for perfect aerial sightseeing.
Landing at Leonard Thompson airport is again uncontrolled, but it is a busier and larger airport with scheduled flights and even a passenger terminal. Cherokee FBO operates here and provided a follow me golf cart, which once parked helped take our luggage to their office. Again, show and get stamped your cruising permit. Then a cab to your hotel. Abaco was the worst hit of all the islands from the 2019 Hurricane and is still in the process of recovery. This along with somewhat overcast and rainy weather had us ready to head to the next island. We put on 100 US gallons here at $6.17 per usg. Landing $10, parking $25 per day. That was all.
OCT12 / MYAM – MYEH .8HRS
On departure flew a little north up the coast to Scotland Cay – a private resort with its own airstrip – looks beautiful and worth a look next time.
Another beautiful low lever run down to Eleuthera Island and Governors Harbor airport. The fueler here marshalled us in and helped us get a rental car, again show and get stamped the cruising permit. Then off to the wonderful “La Bougainvillea” boutique hotel. A wonderful small hotel set on a slight bluff above an Atlantic side private beach, which assures that wonderful cooling trade breeze.
We drove the full length of the island and enjoyed the beauty of the island and the wonderful hotel.
Parking and landing $11. Put a little fuel in at $6.45. A $60 tip to the fueler for all his assistance, not required or asked for but he had marshalled us in, arranged for a rental car assisted with luggage both in and out. Very nice fellow.
OCT 15 / MYEH – MYAK .8HRS
Another VFR low level to Congo Town airport on Andros Island. Could not go direct because of active restricted areas so angle to the south of the island then up the east coast. This is the largest Bahaman Island and is intersected by mangrove lined inlets cutting the island into three parts. This is the most isolated place we stayed. The Andros Beach club is pretty basic but a very friendly small family run place, right on a long empty beach.  No restaurants or other entertainments here so its all-inclusive.   It is renowned for Bone fishing and diving. I tried the Bone fishing and although did not have too much luck it was a great and interesting morning.
Diving is the other draw. I did two dives. The most spectacular was diving the wall that drops from about 100 to 6,000 feet vertically. It is not to be missed by any keen diver.
No services or fuel here, but with offices for Customs, Immigration and Ops.
Landing and Parking $11.

OCT 18 / MYAK – MYLS .9HRS
Another low-level run, first across to the Exuma chain, then down that gorgeous group of islands, so many of which have public or private airports.
Would have stopped at Staniel Cay – but told everything was closed.
The views as on all the flights truly spectacular.
Stayed at the Stella Maris resort which is basically rental houses and cabins. Due to the low occupancy got upgraded to a gorgeous 4 bedroomed ocean fronted house, with its own swimming pool.
Departed here directly to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. Stella Maris is an international airport so checked out with Customs, Immigration and paid the fees:
Landing & 4 nights parking $80
Customs departure fees $58 (two crew)
Fuel – took 50 usg, not needed but try to put on fuel even if just minimal, $6.75 per usg.
Filed an IFR flight plan with Miami via telephone. Departed VFR and picked up our IFR clearance out of about 7,000 feet with Miami center, with them until start of descent into Provo.
The Bahamas are so easy, inexpensive, and welcoming. The weather is almost always balmy VFR. The paperwork minimal and the islands each with a slightly different character gives loads to do whether it’s just relaxing or diving, fishing, sightseeing, sailing, etc. The Commander is a great aircraft for this type of trip with its phenomenal visibility, economy, and airport flexibility. There are of course many more islands to visit in the Bahamas so plan on several trips if you can.

Will continue with the rest of the trip later, if there is interest, as this is already quite long. 

Rest of the trip
OCT 20 / MYLS – MBPV .9HRS
OCT 23 / MBPV – MDPP .8HRS
OCT 26 / MDPP – TJIG 1.3HRS
NOV 1 / TJIG – TFFR 1.4HRS
NOV 3 / TFFR – TNCB 2.6HRS
NOV 6 / TNCB – MKBS 2.7HRS
NOV 10 / MKBS – MCZM 2.3HRS
NOV 13 / MCZM – KBRO 2.7HRS
NOV 13 / KBRO – KTUS 1.8HRS
NOV 14 / KTUS – KCMA 2.9HRS
NOV 16 / KCMA – KCVO.2.9HRS

JMA

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 10:27:46 am »
So great Don.  If at all possible, maybe some accompanying pics?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 11:46:41 am »
If you go back to Stella Maris, I would suggest Cape Santa Maria instead.

https://www.capesantamaria.com

This is making me want to go back there! I would love to do a trip like this some day.

Ndege

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 01:18:54 pm »
Cape Santa Maria resort like many others was closed when we visited - but we checked it out and I agree it looks spectacular with a magnificent beach.

Ndege

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 01:19:56 pm »
Anyone know an easy way to insert photos.
Thanks

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 01:24:34 pm »
Photos-- click on the "Attachments and other options" link below the text window, and then you can choose a file in the "Attach" area.

Ndege

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 02:47:31 pm »
Tried that --didn't seem to work.