News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Back looking for a Commander 500B,U, S  (Read 2733 times)

BrendaF

• Shopping for a Commander 500A,B
Back looking for a Commander 500B,U, S
« on: November 28, 2021, 12:07:25 am »
Sold my B58 Baron, bought a Lamborghini and retired from flying....... Lasted not even one year

Selling my Lambo and looking now for a Commander.  Will probably have to import from US but whatever...

Not getting any younger and wanna try to get my dream bird............

the Adventure begins yet again..

Brenda
We do what we do best, we fly!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Back looking for a Commander 500B,U, S
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 01:51:51 pm »
Welcome back Brenda!

As you know the market is a little frenzied right now and 500's were never bottom feeders to start with. But one thing in their favor is that I got the feeling that the market for them is mainly those who are already turned one by Commanders, so a smaller pool. So although prices have gone up, they haven't gone crazy like the 182 or PC12 market has.

It's funny - 10 years ago when I mentioned Commanders on other aviation forums they were part of the fleet and the collective conscience. That's changed. Today the Commanders are kind of outsiders and many pilots I now encounter have never heard of them and/or are weary of them. Just yesterday I was talking to a Baron owner who's looking to step up to a turbine and he mentioned he's probably buying a MU-2. I said, "have you looked at Turbo Commanders?" and he was like "don't know anything about them, seems like the MU-2 is more common and a safer choice".

That same conversation would never happened 10 years ago - it would have been the opposite then.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:56:59 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 03:23:49 pm »

Just yesterday I was talking to a Baron owner who's looking to step up to a turbine and he mentioned he's probably buying a MU-2. I said, "have you looked at Turbo Commanders?" and he was like "don't know anything about them, seems like the MU-2 is more common and a safer choice".

That is crazy! Yet, weirdly enough, I know someone who did just that. Personally, I can't imagine buying an MU-2 over a Commander, but whatever... a 441, sure, although they have their own issues.

Brenda, I would try Bruce Byerly (Byerly Aviation) and Jim Worrell (Eagle Creek). One of them should have a 500 for sale, or know of one. It won't be a bargain up front, but I think you will end up better off in the long run.

BrendaF

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 12:27:19 am »
Thank you and yes I talked with Bruce many years ago and will contact him again.  Love his commander.
He seems pretty knowledgeable.....

thanks again
Brenda

appleseed

• 500S
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 01:22:08 pm »
Is that South African Shrike still on the market?

Anyone know it's history?

Mark S

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 10:36:44 pm »
Or make Adam an offer for his 680V!
Finish the refurbishment and have a reliable bird without an engine event coming due.
 :D

butchm

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 04:56:28 pm »
Contact Gary Gadberry at Aircenter in Chattanooga.  He just brought in a late model Shrike to put on the market.

BrendaF

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 12:12:32 pm »
Thank you