News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: EGT gauge spazzy.  (Read 2833 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
EGT gauge spazzy.
« on: December 12, 2021, 11:54:42 pm »
So, on flight today the left digital EGT gauge starting acting up - went down to a very low temp and then up to reading correctly again etc, but was mostly stuck on . the low setting. After some power changes it seems to quicken to and come back and show correct again, only to after awhile drop down to radon low number again.

A problem that's common after sitting for awhile, perhaps? Should I just clean the cannon plugs? Anyone experienced something similar?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:54:20 am by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

Re: EGT gauge spazzy.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 01:09:06 am »
I had an egt gauge that was jumping around.  A spray of contact cleaner on the canon plug fixed it up for a while.

Ultimately i had that cannon plug repinned since it came back after a few months. 

Look at the condition of the plug and try to clean it up.  That might work for you.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 01:20:26 am »
One of mine did that as well. It ended up being the EGT wiring harness, which was replaced during the hot section. Now it works perfectly.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 11:29:29 pm »
Thanks for suggestions! Yes, I spoke to Stan Perkins (who I've been trying to participate here for years) and he said that it is most likely the cannon plug in the firewall by engine. He's had it happen a few times on his 681. So I've asked them to spray and clean that and also look if harness looks damaged anywhere. Hope that will fix it.

It was a little unsettling initially as it happened right after 2nd takeoff on the upwind and for second I thought I'd lost an engine, but the torque meters were still showing power and no yaw, so quickly determined it was the gauge.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 01:35:56 pm »
As expected, cleaning the thermocoupling bananaplugs in the firewall took care of problem. The old girl is now safely back at home base. Now I just need to clear the hangar from all the crap to fit her!

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 11:39:41 am »
I'm really looking forward to meeting you and your bird out in the wild somewhere!
500B, B200