News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...  (Read 193095 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:06 pm »
Back in hangar after about another 4 months.... :-X 

Turns out whilst I thought we were almost done with the phase inspection after all this time, we were in fact none of that. Not even started. Couldn't get to it until Jan 2019, they now said....  ::) So, yanked her out of there and taking her to a service center. I've had enough of waiting around. It's been 4 years since I bought this plane and she's flown very little due to all these time wasters.

Think I'm going to have to become an A&P myself.

Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2018, 07:11:02 pm »
You have got to be kidding me! That is ridiculous.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:34 pm »
Wow Adam a total bummer... Having been pretty much where you are right now with the one and only "restoration" project I did some years back, I feel for ya.  And exactly why I will never do another one.
Which service center are you thinking of going to?  I sort of doubt with the holidays rolling in that any of them will be very swift getting your bird done...  But I hope that you finally get lucky.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2018, 12:33:55 pm »
AeroAir say the have time to do it in December before xmas. I also need some of the outer fuel bladders repaired or replaced, so it's probably going to take a bit longer. But it's encouraging.  :D Forum member Don services his there and I known they have experience with Dept. of Montana Highways 680V, so that's why I'm thinking they're a good fit.

As a general observation from speaking to a few smaller maintenance facilities, it seems that there isn't just a pilot shortage, but also a pretty severe A/P shortage. Many are struggling to find people and those who do graduate as mechanics can pick and choose amongst high paid and cushier jet jobs with good benefits, creating a deficiency at the smaller shops. Maybe interests have changed as well - less kids grow up wrenching on old cars in their fathers garage, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:40:04 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:32 pm »
I saw your airplane this afternoon! I think Dan and Richard will take good care of you.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #350 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:58 am »
Yeah! If I'd had more time, I'd loved to come say hi and look at your bird, but had to jump on a plane and get back down here.

They seemed really nice and Richard gave me a beautiful tour of the facilities. Cool. Even got to poke around a beautiful P180 Avanti they had in one of the hangars and also look up close on the G650 they have in the other. Told them it was no hurry to get her done - I've only waited 4 years already, what's a few more months?

On the way up I'd planned on going on 16000ft, but now all of a sudden the cabin barely made 1psi diff, so had to amend cruise to 12000ft. Didn't do my fuel burns any good, but we got there. Did the ILS into Hillsboro and the ceilings were pretty low and broken.

I'm ready for this bird to be done now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:03:33 am by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: December 13, 2018, 12:58:58 am »
I was on my way home from Dallas today, so not there, unfortunately. I had a minor issue of my own, so I dropped my airplane off at Aero Air when I got back, and that's when I saw yours. I think Aero Air will be much more timely than the other shops you've dealt with!

Although, to be fair, some of that time is just the nature of dealing with old airplanes (cars, boats, etc)!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #352 on: December 13, 2018, 01:06:24 am »
Ah, OK.

Yeah, old stuff. Noticed on this flight that when I'm transmitting on the radio, the EGT temp on the R engine drops about 100 degrees and then jumps right back up again the second I stop transmitting! I mean, how random is that? And impossible to trouble-shoot, probably. Old planes with gremlins in their systems....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:17:53 am by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2019, 12:19:56 pm »
How are things going?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2019, 02:56:47 pm »
I think it's progressing. They sent me an estimates list that was pretty eye watering, but we've now whittled it down somewhat.

Like the props went from $17K for the "mandatory Hartzell overhaul" to a simple inspection and reseal for $7K. Why on earth grind down perfectly new blades when it's not needed? But that's the Hartzell MO and less knowing owners probably think that's their only option. You just have to know the regulations a bit and stand your ground part 91.

The engine will need the 3rd turbine stage replaced. I'd really hoped to not have to do this, but the cycles are up no matter how you count. Sticking a used stage in and it shouldn't be the end of the world financially. They've sourced one but I also have options from another vendor on turbine stages.

But all in all it's gonna be more than I anticipated. Just have to keep my head down, earn and work as much as I can and get it done. Gonna take a few months to get her out of there, I'm thinking. No hurry, better it gets done correct one last time than having to send her back. Plus I need the time to make some money... ;)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2019, 03:02:10 pm »
I hope they're taking good care of you. They have certainly done a good job for me over the years!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #356 on: January 19, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »
I hope they're taking good care of you. They have certainly done a good job for me over the years!

So far they've been great. Communicative and clear.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: February 16, 2019, 01:40:52 am »
Any updates?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2019, 01:11:17 am »
Not really. They're eager to start the work, but it means I need to wire them $30K for parts up front. And right now that's more than I got in the bank, to be honest. It would be nice to book few more jobs, so I know I can cover it comfortably. But it's a quiet time of the year for me normally, so until I know I have work coming in, we'll have to wait. Shouldn't be too long.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: February 17, 2019, 08:48:01 am »
Yep... money is the root of all good things..  Umm did I remember that correctly... 8)