News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...  (Read 179641 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:43 pm »
Just like I predicted, shipping of the windows has turned into a 3 week, $1600 ordeal. Shipping company refused packaging then took upon themselves to charge $1600 on credit card on file, just because it's Christmas presumably, for something that was supposed to cost $350. Stopped that payment, windows went back to vendor and now are snaking their way to us on some truck, tentatively to arrive on the 20th. Which means, just in time for everyone to put down the tools and disappear for the holidays....  ::)

If this plane test flies before the new year, it will be a miracle.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:14:33 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2017, 11:37:37 pm »
Adam--  Hoping to see some posts from you in the Commander Travels section in the New Year!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2017, 08:22:08 pm »
Nothing would make me happier, Don.

Windows have arrived and are getting installed now.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2018, 11:57:16 pm »
Windows installed. But of course when it came to testing it all, an old problem I'd flagged earlier reared it's ugly head: right fuel valve is intermittent. Doesn't activate boost pump or anything most of the time, just dead. It had happened twice before, but Morris couldn't replicate when I'd mentioned it, so we thought (in the age old aviation tradition), that it had fixed itself. Now, he's checked relays and actual valve switch and they're good. It's something with the power coming up to the switch from the breaker panel. Tracing that now.

On top of this, the avionics guys had hooked up the gyro pressure to the alternate air or something incomprehensible - which is why the autopilot doesn't work. Now Morris will have to untangle all that air mess and sort it out...

Never ends. But close... ;)

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2018, 07:59:23 am »
KEEP THE FAITH  8)

Steve binnette

« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2018, 10:55:24 am »
This will all be a distant memory.

In a few years you will read this thread just so you can remember.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2018, 11:47:24 am »
Those are small things which will be quickly sorted out. Looking forward to some pictures, and a video!

drwho67

« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »
Those are small things which will be quickly sorted out. Looking forward to some pictures, and a video!

I second that!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2018, 02:17:13 am »
Latest news?

Well, Morris almost finished. He's trying to figure out the mess they did with air system. Seems like they hooked up the alt air to the vacuum somehow, it's all making very little sense. Morris is bitching about the one piece panel I put in and the tight bundles of avionics the guys did, making work on the air-lines hard. I can see that, but the reality is I needed this on piece panel to make it look like it wasn't stuck in the 60's. So, and to make a case between mechanic-friendly and bringing it into the 21st century, this was it.

Another adjustment: I remember from last flight that I was pretty much power-lever-travelled-out on the trip back from Napa. At 17500ft I was against the stops at on the left engine. She was showing 535 C degrees (limit is 545 continuous), so not entirely full power. My friend Stan Perkins with his 681 said that should never be the case. Even at high alt, you should have some more travel left so you can temp out. So told Morris about all this and he's gonna turn up the top fuel on the fuel controller for me. Only problem is - maybe the old FC is already at max value and can't turned up anymore? What do you do then?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:59 am »
Here's before Xmas when the windows were still out in places.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2018, 11:43:22 am »
I've never been at max power level travel with a 331. So that's definitely wrong... hopefully they can adjust that.

While I hope it doesn't come to this, can you overhaul those fuel controllers? Are they Bendix, I'm guessing?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »
Woodward on mine. I think an overhaul would be cost-prohibitive at this point. Think they start at $8K/each, but I could be wrong.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2018, 01:27:54 am »
If they're Woodward, that's good, since they're still being supported. Bendix, not so much. The Jetprops all have Woodward, the 690s have a mix of Woodward and Bendix.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »
Woodward on mine. I think an overhaul would be cost-prohibitive at this point. Think they start at $8K/each, but I could be wrong.

Swap them side to side or swap the inlet sensors?  You?ll spend $25k on FCU overhaul and then some I?d guess. Within 10 degrees on those engines?  Call it good?  Is max egt akin to running a -5 at 923 degrees?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2018, 03:47:17 am »
Yeah, probably call it good!

Don't know where they sample the EGT on the early models. I know I got in trouble forsaking the MU-2's engines don't last as long as they run them at 665 degrees, but it turns out they sample at different place. Is 953 degrees in Fahrenheit?