News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...  (Read 193104 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...
« Reply #315 on: April 15, 2018, 07:14:51 pm »
Adam,

Great news but there seems to be something missing from your posts.  Well, yes, from mine too but that is beside the point.

WHERE'S The VIDEO? :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #316 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:57 am »
Glenn, I was so preoccupied with all the stuff on my flights I didn't take any video. Also, I've become a bit worried about posting that stuff to YouTube as I heard the feds gave one of the most prolific posters a 709 ride for something they didn't like. So, they're watching. But I will post something down the line.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:30 am »
Wow! Who got the 709 for YouTube videos?
500B, B200

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:10 am »

Steve1Kinevo, the TBM pilot. It was in regards to a part 135 flight he did in the Caravan and posten on YouTube, but still. Don't think a sloppy part 91 pilot would slide just because it's part 91.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2018, 02:50:08 pm »

Steve1Kinevo, the TBM pilot. It was in regards to a part 135 flight he did in the Caravan and posten on YouTube, but still. Don't think a sloppy part 91 pilot would slide just because it's part 91.

You're probably right about that, but I think he was sort of asking for it with his videos. And the FAA is far more motivated when it comes to 135, because they have an inspector (or inspectors) focused just on that specific operator.

I'd just be careful about posting the exact location and letting them see the panel close up. With some careful (even slightly careful) editing, you should be fine.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2018, 06:54:12 pm »
Sorry, not biting... Sounds like an excuse to me.  If I’m still posting you have to as well. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #321 on: May 24, 2018, 12:17:37 am »
Latest from Tulsa is they're making some progress on the autopilot. Apparently the avionics guys didn't install an isolator (or something like that), which interfered with the a/p. Feels good to be in the hands of experts who know what they're talking about. Hopefully won't be too expensive and should be ready in a  week or two for pickup.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2018, 03:21:32 am »
Sure know how to pick 'em. Now it's been another two months at the A/P shop and not much progress. Am I just cursed?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:27:14 am by Adam Frisch »

Rich

« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2018, 07:09:51 am »
Hi Adam, sad to see this still dragging on - how did it go from a week or so to another two months?!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2018, 10:21:52 am »
It is sad that all of these shops are taking such advantage of us.  I know they have to make money but 2 months for an auto pilot and you haven't touched it yet is absolutely ridiculous.  This is one of the reasons I feel like I need a plane I can work on myself and not have to dump on a shop every year.  The sad state of affairs is that most of the old guys that used to know what they are doing have been replaced with younger lazier versions that only want a paycheck and could care less if you're happy with their work or not.

Ok, going to stop here before I pull soap box out any farther. :-)

Glenn
--glenn

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2018, 04:06:55 pm »
It is sad that all of these shops are taking such advantage of us.  I know they have to make money but 2 months for an auto pilot and you haven't touched it yet is absolutely ridiculous.  This is one of the reasons I feel like I need a plane I can work on myself and not have to dump on a shop every year.  The sad state of affairs is that most of the old guys that used to know what they are doing have been replaced with younger lazier versions that only want a paycheck and could care less if you're happy with their work or not.

Ok, going to stop here before I pull soap box out any farther. :-)

Glenn

I think there’s truth in that the old expert guys going away.  But I also observe guys here going to the wrong people.  And then going so far as to RECOMMEND the wrong people to others even though they have been screwed. I have heard the horror stories offline again and again.

Anyway, I suspect Adam would admit that, if he had the right avionics shop who knew the plane, he wouldn’t be spending another 6 months and god only knows how much money chasing the missing diode. Hindsight is 20/20, and I’m not being critical, just observing the hard lessons learned over and over again. It’s best to engage someone who knows the plane. And, sadly, those guys are fewer and farther between.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:39 pm »
My attitude is that getting the work done right, and on time, is more important than getting it done as cheaply as possible. Life's too short to be constantly waiting around.

Aero Air did my gear overhaul on time (early, in fact!) and on budget. And didn't cut any corners while they were at it. I'm sure I could have had someone do it for less, but why?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
No, I've certainly learned the hard way that lesson.

But this shop has great reputation and are experts on these older A/P's.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
And we should probably qualify the difference between a 680 and the later model planes.  It’s relativey easy to service a turbine, especially 690 and later.  Different markets.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2018, 12:11:56 am »
It will have to wait a bit. I'll have to take A/P to an expert - these guys don't have the expertise. And I don't have any options when it comes to A/P's - it's either a S-Tec 65 system and kiss $70K goodbye for an old analog rate based one, or get this one going. There are a few shops who can still deal with H-14's. Plus, it worked before, so can't be a huge thing.

Anyway, did approaches today and everything worked fine on the HSI. And comm was loud and clear.

Just got her back from Autopilot Central  - A/P works! And to be honest, not that bad to have it fixed. So very happy about that. It prob doesn't ILS couple, but I don't need that anyway. As long as she can track a heading, stay at an altitude or track a NAV, I'm good.  ;)