News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...  (Read 179715 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Stepping up to old 680V turbine...
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2019, 10:33:12 pm »
Any updates, Adam? Going to get her out of there before the runway opens?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »
Just finished all the fuel bladders/drains/leaks, now moving on to pressurization. I doubt she'll be out of there before the end of the year with the pace I can afford. Byt slowly making progress.

Need a new medical, some currency and a BFR at this point too. I really dread climbing into an old C172 to do it, but it will have to be done.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:02:27 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2019, 12:41:45 am »
If you want a BFR in the 680, let me know. I'm a CFI.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:15:08 am by Adam Frisch »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:31 am »
Thanks Don - that's great to know! Not sure of the legalities of doing a training flight when on a ferry permit (no interior), but technically I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed. But I think I'll just have to climb into that old 172 beforehand..... ::)

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: December 07, 2019, 05:17:26 pm »
Any updates?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2019, 09:25:40 pm »
Very slow progress by default - I can't pay for it right now. My startup is still eating everything. But Dan Black has made some minor progress and changed all the slip contacts for the prop heating, so that's working again. Then onto cabin leaks, de-ice boots and the 3rd stage wheel replacement on one engine.

Honestly, I'm so over it, but it is what it is. Just did my IFR recurrency, but haven't flown for a year, so now need new medical and new biannual. Even if she was ready to go, gonna have to go fly with someone for a few hours to get back in the swing of things. Too rusty.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:13:46 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2019, 10:21:03 pm »
Let me know next time you come up.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
Let me know next time you come up.

Will do. I'm hoping to get my interior out of the less than responsive upholstery guy and drive it up to Aeroair at some point for them to finish. That way everything is in one spot. Also heard from Dan they might be able to pick up the pace end of Jan, as they too have been very busy.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:35:56 am by Adam Frisch »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2020, 12:35:32 pm »
Steve at AeroAir contacted me just right before all of this Covid-business started and said they wanted to proceed faster and get her out of there (don't blame them). Great timing as I'd had a very busy beginning of the year and finally my winery was starting to support its own costs, so we made up a plan to move forward and completing. Literally 2 weeks later the s*it hit the fan and all regular income was lost for any foreseeable future. So I sent email to Dan and said halt everything, just finish the commenced task and make ready for ferry.  They've now said they're looking to have her ferryable in May.

But I'm now severely out of currency, so if I do the flight myself, I'll have to take an extra day to just do some local training up in Oregon. Might be hard to find an instructor there willing to train, but even if I'm alone at least I can fly a bit locally and get back into the swing of things. Don - would you happen to know an instructor with Commander experience locally? Does AeroAir still have any Commander pilots?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2020, 12:45:11 pm »
I could probably do it, or I can suggest someone. I don't know anyone who has ever been in a 680V, though (including myself).

I would suggest getting one of the guys who does 680V stuff to fly out, fly with you back to California, and do some training on the way.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »
Just an update. Dan contacted me with a recap with what's been done and preparing for the ferry flight back.

Engine inlets have been pulled out, repaired and repainted.

The brushes on the prop heaters have mostly been fixed. LH outboards are not heating up and going to half voltage, despite the slip rings being good. The guy at Twin Commander LLC now think it might be a bad lead from the timer, so they're going to try to trouble shoot that. I could let it slide for now, but I think it's better to try to complete these very type specific conundrums at a place where they have expertise. So I've said go ahead to try to fix that, despite me or the world not really having great economy right now.

Cabin pressurization has been progressing. They changed some duct clamps and could get 1+ psi out of it on first try. Then with sealing the floor with tape it jumped to 3.3psi at Max Flow rate. They've found some taped and leaking inlet ducts at the back of pressure bulkhead. Unfortunately, they can't repair them and would need the replaced, but the lead time is 16 weeks for those. I've said go ahead and order them and lets do it right. I know they want her out of there and my finances are tight, but now in the summer months I don't mind if she sits on the ramp until part arrives. I think getting pressurization nailed down is important, because she would get her interior put back in after the ferry flight which would make any fixes inside cabin a pain to deal with after that happens.

So, that's where we are now. If all goes to plan, should be able to hopefully get her out of there by end of summer. Recently, I've  really been itching to go flying again. Need to get up to speed. Can you fly with instructor 6ft away from you? ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:11:40 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2020, 03:41:39 pm »
That is great!

So is the only thing standing between you and a fully signed off annual your turbine wheel issue?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2020, 08:49:55 pm »
That is great!

So is the only thing standing between you and a fully signed off annual your turbine wheel issue?

And prop inspection and replacement of MW boots. Unfortunately all pretty big dollar items. But we'll get there.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2020, 10:12:44 pm »
Have you considered just removing the boots? Or maybe that costs just as much?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2020, 08:41:32 am »
Have you considered just removing the boots? Or maybe that costs just as much?

I would really like it to stay FIKI. Also, then you need to start messing with a new MMEL list and FAA approval and all that, so prob just easier to do.