News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fuel Control Unit & Fuel Sensor Unit - $ 71,000 Dollars later  (Read 4302 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Fuel Control Unit & Fuel Sensor Unit - $ 71,000 Dollars later
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 01:28:50 pm »
I would ask Richard or Dan at Aero Air. If they say it's good, that is good enough for me!

They will probably call their inspection department, who will actually come up with the answer.

schrambow

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 07:47:42 pm »
Don,
when we had our 681, it was 100 hours and not calendar related.  It is a special maintenance program that was approved for the 681 but no other turbine commanders I believe  So, if we only flew 50 hours per year, then we could do the inspection every 2 years then or once we got to the 100 hours of time- could be 3 or 4 years, etc... then.  It was a pretty good benefit/advantage versus the other commander turbines for sure.  However, there are other time/calendar related items like the spar inspection (3 years) no matter what the hour usage is and is based solely on the calendar unless you can get a FSDO extension which we could never get with our FSDO no matter how many negative corrosion inspections we had. 
So, the 681 maintenance inspection program they created for that aircraft I thought was quite unique and special for sure. 
However, even though legal,  running that type of plane for more than 3 to 4 years with little hours and without any type of inspection from a commander maintenance type of guy,  i think maybe legal, but not the wisest way to operate that aircraft from my experience with the 681.  But is just my opinion though.
One can apply this same logic to the landing gear overhaul requirement on the piston commanders, pretty close to the same type of gear setup and parts as the turbines, but not required every 5 years to overhaul in the piston planes. Turbines they are required to overhaul every 5 years.  Its wise to overhaul the piston commander landing gear at some point?  my opinion is every 5 to 10 years would be my best guess if you don't want landing gear issues at some point.

I loved the 681,  but i also love my 840 at least as much, if not a little bit more, especially on those 1000+ NM runs ;)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 10:50:38 pm »
The 680T, V, W-series doesn't have the spar inspection, but shares the 681's 100hr inspection. Nor does it have the gear overhaul, but I agree with you, it probably should be done. It's on my list to do eventually once we get flying a bit more.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 12:48:33 pm »
You know, now that you mention it I think the Jet Commander might have had the same program. It would make sense, given that it was the same era (late 1960s) and I recall some sales pitch about "no calendar maintenance!" so maybe it did.