News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alaska Commander  (Read 2175 times)

JimC

• Administrator
Alaska Commander
« on: March 30, 2022, 02:21:26 pm »
OK, who knows the story behind this one?

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=AERO+COMMANDER&model=500B&listing_id=2403627&s-type=aircraft

The funny thing is, my wife and I are calling the plane we're looking for exactly that - it's for going to Alaska (and other great places.)
500B, B200

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Alaska Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 04:28:36 pm »
Interesting bird. Got the radar nose. Not to much TT, but it could all be low level inspection or fire stuff, which tends to be more stressful for frame. Gonna be at least $100K to get going, my guess. But maybe not.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 04:34:05 pm »
So, I did some research...this may be one of the most unique Commanders still in one piece.

Yes, it has a STOL kit. It was the experimental testbed for the Robertson STOL kit on the 500 series. It used a modified kit that was originally approved for a 680E. It was in and out of experimental status several times for the STOL kit evaluation. I think only one 680E was ever converted and only one 500B was ever converted. It looks to me like it's out of experimental and the kit is still on, so that makes it one of a kind right there.

It had a massive amount of radio gear installed at one point - 380 lbs worth. It was on several racks in the baggage compartment. It included two ADFs & rotating loops and an HF radio with an antenna on a reel.

The baggage compartment was extended (see photos)

Yes, the engines are TIOs - it had a Rajay kit installed.

Yes, that's a fat nosewheel - it's a 7.00x6 at 28 psi. The nose strut was raised an inch.

It had the McMillan radar nose with an RCA radar.

It's one of the fatter 500B's I've seen - it was 5100 lbs BEFORE the Rajays and Robertson STOL were added. The radio racks were removed a few years later when the baggage compartment was extended.

It went through over 20 owners. It was in air taxi in Alaska for a short while, but it was mostly corporate transport.

I don't think you could resurrect it for $100k. Two engine overhauls & turbo overhauls gets you up to $150k before you've even had breakfast. And you can't overhaul the props - there are none.
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 01:12:31 pm »
I saw that thing show up on Facebook, and I almost posted it here. Interesting to know some of the story on it. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of early 500s are in the same boat-- haven't flown for years, missing parts, and very expensive to resurrect.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 06:48:22 pm »
I really wonder how much that wing mod slowed it down.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 11:23:27 pm »
My 337 with the Robertson STOL leading edge wasn't much slower (2-3kts, tops.)

But when you drop the flaps and the ailerons, it's really quite something. Stall speed of a 4700lb airplane is around 43 kts. Not only that, but it flies like a piece of furniture with two wings sticking out and has the visibility of a Cessna 195 when you land.

On the plus side, it never really stalls - it mushes - so if you misjudge from five feet up, it just flops down like it's landing in a feather bed and the spring gear soaks it up like "I meant to do that."
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 12:14:44 pm »
Maybe you are the guy to resurrect it!

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 12:45:03 pm »
I'd need to double my budget and manufacture spare time. But yes, I'd love to have it in flying condition.

We all know who the true correct buyer of this airframe is...

Adam, wanna go halfsies on this one?
500B, B200

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 09:34:59 pm »
I'd need to double my budget and manufacture spare time. But yes, I'd love to have it in flying condition.

We all know who the true correct buyer of this airframe is...

Adam, wanna go halfsies on this one?

Ha! I got enough troubles with the 680V!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.