News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: South America  (Read 2796 times)

Ndege

South America
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:58:57 pm »
I am about to take a trip around South America. Happy to hear about any experiences, especially regarding reasonably priced handlers. I spent years flying the World without using ground handlers but on vacation don't really want the hassle and to be wasting time haggling etc. Leaving in Early September for about a three-month trip covering almost all the countries of both South and Central America.

seanmcgillivray

Re: South America
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:37:31 am »
Amazing. Please share.

Ndege

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:38:27 pm »
I will be sure to keep updating as the trip progresses.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »
I am looking forward to hearing about this! Have a great trip.

Ndege

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 01:49:29 pm »
Good day all,

Just got back from my S.America trip. No real issues or problems, aircraft performed great even in and out of Cusco airport at 10,850 Ft. My wife started an Instagram account: airsafari.sa if anyone is interested. Visited 14 Countries, 22 landings, 58 hours of flying. I will post details of route, costs etc when I have more time.

Great aircraft for this sort of trip.

Cheers,
Peter Fraser

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 02:00:43 pm »
That is great! I just sent you a request on Instagram. Welcome back!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 04:31:53 pm »
Love the pictures and videos! Looks like such a great trip!

Ndege

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 06:32:48 pm »
Here is a brief write up about my recent South and Central America flight
Route and times with ICAO airport codes
KEYE-KSEF        3.2HRS      Sebring, Florida-- to fly Aircam on floats, fabulous fun.
KSEF – MKBS    2.4HRS     Ian Fleming Intl. Non-Commercial -easy, cheap. Goldeneye resort- great – but not cheap
MKBS – TFFF    3.6HRS    Very easy with General Aviation terminal. French Island – very well kept.
TFFF – SYCJ      2.2HRS   Guyana- specifically to see Kaieteur Falls – had to charter a Cessna 206 to visit – but only people there. Suggest using Ogle airport rather than the main airport. It is more General Aviation and much closer to the city, about 20 minutes. From the main airport can take up to 2.5 hrs. due to very bad traffic.
SYCJ – SBEG     2.2HRS    Manaus – great place to explore the amazon river.
SBEG – SBCY    3.1HRS   Cuiaba – close to the Brazilian Pantanal famous for Jaguar spotting – we saw 5!
SBCY – SBFI      2.3HRS Spectacular Iguacu falls. Stay at the Belmont hotel – inside the national park – only hotel guests have access to the falls sunup till 9.30am and from about 4pm to sunset. Also a beautiful hotel.
SBFI – SADF     2.5HRS Buenos Aires – Great city. Even managed to get a Polo lesson on a nearby estancia! Ate at a famous meat restaurant where the portions are huge, and they cut the steak with a spoon to demonstrate the tenderness.
SADF – SAZS    3.2HRS Bariloche – the Argentinian lake district and Alpine scenery
SAZS – SCEL     2.2HRS Great city with the Andes mountains close by. Rented a car and drove to the Chilean lake district and the wine district. Great roads, so well sign posted almost impossible to get lost.
SCEL – SCCF      2.5HRS Landed here to visit San Pedro De Atacama and then take a four-day tour into Bolivia. Both spectacular places.
SCCF – SCDA     0.8HRS Iquique, Peru – stopped here to go Paragliding as it is World famous for the soaring conditions.
SCDA – SPZO     2.2HRS Cusco at 10,850feet nested in amongst towering peaks – spectacular arrival and departure. The airport is in the middle of the city.
SPZO – SPQT     2.7HRS Iquitos on the Amazon River – great place to visit the surrounding Jungle.
SPQT – SKCG     3.1HRS Cartagena, Columbia one of the oldest Spanish colonial cities- both an old and a very new city. Hotel Casa San Agustin in the old city – beautiful.
SKCG – MPPA   1.3 HRS Panama Canal views coming into land are wonderful. Very interesting Canal tours. Incredible city – amazing what dirty money can build.
MPPA – MRLB   1.7HRS Costa Rica – first time seeing multiple US corporate jets.
MRLB – MNMG 0.7HRS Great visit to Granada on the shores of the huge Lake Nicaragua, visited Ometepe island. Also great Cigars.
MNMG – MHRO 1.2HRS Stayed at the Ibigari resort – several great scuba dives.
MHRO – KBRO    3.4HRS First real IFR approach of the trip -400 overcast, rain and heavy gusts. Very nice place to return to US. Customs officers are very friendly and quick.
KBRO – KABQ      3.0HRS overnight
KABQ – KCMA     2.6HRS visit fiends
KCMA – KCVO     3.1HRS Aircraft home field.
Used the following companies to assist:
VAMOS Expeditions for all hotel/tour reservations (based in Peru)
Argentine – Aerowise
Brazil – Athena
Chile and Peru – AviaSur
Others -Skyplan of Canada.
I have travelled Worldwide not using handlers – but on holiday and especially with passengers it is very worthwhile.
Costs are pretty outrageous in Brazil – up to $3,500 per stop. Generally through the it was between $500 and $1,200 per stop including: Landing, parking, customs, immigration, handling, nav.
Fuel was almost exclusive through World Fuel. Except in the US where I use CAA and Everest.
I used GPU at every stop – not needed, but for me just insurance.
ATC was excellent and easy to understand everywhere. Most of the time in radar contact.
Couple maintenance issues – slow oil seep from right engine. Lived with it but kept a close eye.  Pressurization activating on the ground at full rate. Continued by only turning bleeds on after T/O and shutting down before landing. Otherwise the aircraft performed perfectly. Usually true 292kts at 480lbs/hr. at FL260/270.
Weather for the entire trip was basically VFR with just a couple exceptions:
SKCG – rain, low clouds on arrival and departure.
SADF – Very windy on departure – up to 35/40kts
KBRO – Rain/low clouds/gusty
Enroute occasionally would divert around build ups. Generally departed between 9 and 10 am to avoid the afternoon buildups common in the tropics.
Stayed at each stop between 2 and 8 days.
Cost – Well I don’t really want to know. So worthwhile regardless, and how many people get to do this?
My wife has an Instagram account: airsafari.sa with lots of videos and photos.
I would be happy to share information on all aspects of planning and doing a trip like this – just email me at: twoflyers.com.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 12:05:27 am »
Excellent! Do you have pictures?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Ndege

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 03:53:05 pm »
Many pictures and videos on instagram at: airsafari.sa.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 10:14:03 pm »
Peter - amazing trip. You’re a pro. Are you available to consult for others on this kind of trip?

Ndege

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:00 pm »
Yes - it would be my pleasure.

EricDapp

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 10:23:07 pm »
I would guess the first recommendation would be to have a wife that speaks Spanish fluently. And one who handles all the flight planning too.

Ndege

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 02:01:18 pm »
Helpful -yes. Needed - No. 40 plus years of delivering aircraft around the World without the local language taught me that. But for making friends it is definitely a plus.

Ndege

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 05:14:21 pm »
If anyone wants information on planning or doing a trip like this, I would be happy to assist in any way I can. You can contact me directly at: twoflyers@outlook.com