News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 1499 times)

DarylW

Newbie question
« on: September 22, 2022, 10:14:30 am »
Howdy
Any opinions and insight from the group regarding prop settings on landing …. I did a bunch of touch and goes in N11L this past week ~ my 1953 AC 520…. no two approaches (and landings) were alike - mostly cuz I couldn’t decide where to set the RPM on the props for landing- the “P” in GUMPS. 2800 sounded the best to me on the ‘go’. On one touch and go after being a bit long on touch down the other end of the runway was getting a bit close so I shoved prop levers back up to the top (a bit faster than probably should have) yet the increase in thrust was dramatic  and she lept up and flew nicely. Knowing those gear boxes have a costly aversion to ‘abuse’ ~ any thoughts?

Oh and the pressure carbs….. when putting the plane away, I’ve been been putting fuel back in carb with boost and prime for a few seconds and leaving knobs in idle cut off…came across an old entry from Chris S who said to leave mixture in ‘…. Mode’
What’s best for the carbs?

Thanks guys~ I know she is old… but she is a joy to me and I’d like to treat her well.

Daryl W Linden CA based in Stockton
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 06:00:45 pm by DarylW »
A pilot is only as good as his next landing

Bruce Byerly

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 10:30:25 pm »
I don’t know about those old geared engines but I’ve come to land everything from King Airs to Cessnas in cruise RPM except 331 powered planes. Unless it’s mission critical and then I might push up the props on final.

Wouldn’t low rpm be easier on it?

DarylW

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 04:31:10 am »
Thanks Bruce! The ‘Cruise RPM’ strategy makes a lot of sense and felt best when doing the touch and goes- if the situation is such that I am running out of runway I still could push them up (gently) almost like downshifting into a lower gear.
A pilot is only as good as his next landing

Big Pistons Forever

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 11:03:14 pm »
On any geared engine you never want to move the prop levers fast. I also leave the props  at cruise for landing.

As a personal comment I don’t do touch and go landings in complex airplanes. There is too much happening too fast. Full stop taxi back, reset the airplane and go, is IMO better training than crashes and dashes.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 01:22:33 pm »
Yes, Daryl - I also never pushed props to high for landing. I figured it would be fast to do in an actual go-around. Perhaps once or twice did I do it when I went into really tight airfields, like Johnson Creek or Bacon Strip. In general, tended to not touch props at all after T/O and the first RPM reduction.

Never heard that about pressur carbs, but never had any problems with mine.

Man, do I miss flying the 520! It's just a little joy of get-up-and-go'ness that thing. When you get a bit more comfortable in it, try doing the Full power, 2/3 flaps short field takeoff and you'll see how insane that thing is - she'll start climbing out at 45kts!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.