News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tire shortage  (Read 2188 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Tire shortage
« on: October 02, 2022, 09:48:44 am »
Does anyone have any tires to sell? Been waiting 2 months on tires now and they're now saying Nov, which will make it 3 months.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

TXGold

Re: Tire shortage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 09:45:48 pm »
Does anyone have any tires to sell? Been waiting 2 months on tires now and they're now saying Nov, which will make it 3 months.

Please share the tires specs to order if you don't mind. I noticed I need to likely get tires in the next couple months and was thinking there may be a shortage, confirmed by a friend too. Is it any 8.5 x 10 ply tire? Any recommended brand, ie Goodyear?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 12:27:00 am »
Yeah, 8.5x10 and 10 ply. Goodyear is backordered. I found alternative brands at Dresser, but not sure how accurate their website is. I asked the shop to order Michelin's instead, will see what Dresser comes back with.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

TXGold

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 06:09:34 am »
Yeah, 8.5x10 and 10 ply. Goodyear is backordered. I found alternative brands at Dresser, but not sure how accurate their website is. I asked the shop to order Michelin's instead, will see what Dresser comes back with.

Thank you. And these are tubeless I presume. Or does it vary plane to plane?

TXGold

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:23:42 pm »
My mains are 8.5-10 10 ply tubeless Michelin Airs, and I was able to order three from Desser($1776), so I'll have a spare after replacing current tires. I will get a tubed 6.0-6 8 ply tomorrow, and I think it is in stock too, in the Michelin. The Goodyear Flight Custom 3 is the one that is out of stock and from what the barely capable salesperson knew there is no real difference other than brand.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:31:19 am »
Be careful about random tires and retreads even if “properly sized.” Over the years I’ve had multiple calls to walk pilots through getting the gear down when oversize tires catch the sheet metal in the wheel well. Please do a gear swing if using any unfamiliar tire. On the turbines, there’s about 1/4” tolerance.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 01:34:33 pm »
Interestingly enough, Twin Commander mentions this in the latest issue of Flight Levels (but only for the 900/1000, and only for about 11 serial numbers):

https://flightlevelsonline.com/2022/fall-2022/from-the-shop-floor-maintenance-alerts-address-rudder-and-landing-gear/

https://twincommander.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Maintenance-Alert-Alternate-Tire.pdf

Quote from: Twin Commander

As certain tire sizes are becoming harder to find, alternatives can get operators flying faster. The factory has confirmed that 10-ply tires (8.50×10 PR TL per TSO C62) are approved on the 690D serial numbers 15039 through 15042, and 695A serial numbers 96092 through 69100.

The two different tire sizes require different pressures. For the 16-ply tire a placard indicating 93 PSI is affixed to the main landing gear, while the 10-ply tire should be filled to 74 PSI, necessitating placards. According to the alert, the factory is working on a pilot’s operating handbook update that will reference the alternate tire and tire pressure requirements.

It’s also important to note that according to the alert, the two tire sizes can’t be mixed. So, changing one tire requires changing both.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 05:46:37 pm »
Incidentally, that maintenance note is so specific regarding serial numbers that I would guess there must have been some operational reason for the differently sized tires? Some export market or large customer or something?