News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 690A Pilot Checklist  (Read 2718 times)

TXGold

690A Pilot Checklist
« on: October 13, 2022, 12:03:46 am »
Does anyone have a editable checklist that is easy for them to share with me? If so I would appreciate a head start. Please email me at ralcorn@me.com

Thanks ya'll
Ryan

Bruce Byerly

Re: 690A Pilot Checklist
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 12:06:17 pm »
Email sent to you Ryan

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 01:03:48 pm »
This is what I am using for my 980... I actually started from our old 690 checklist and modified it for the Jetprop.

TXGold

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 04:01:52 am »
Thank you very much for the help, ya'll.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 09:23:18 pm »
When you get yours done, you should consider posting it here.

TXGold

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »
Here is a modification of what Bruce sent. Thanks again Bruce. Always helping me out!

Thank you too Milo and DonV!!!

Ryan

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 02:34:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

Two things I noticed:

1) I'm surprised you don't have Windshield Heat on your 18000 foot check (climbing). I find it's annoying if I forget it and the windshield fogs over.

2) I believe the prop sync needs to be off for landing. I'm sure of it on the 980, but I think so for the 690 as well?

Otherwise, looks great!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 07:06:04 pm »
Also, one thing I really like about our checklist is the Emergency Return section. While I haven't had to do too many emergency returns, it also is very useful on short legs where you don't plan to climb above 10,000 feet or so.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 11:02:15 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

Two things I noticed:

1) I'm surprised you don't have Windshield Heat on your 18000 foot check (climbing). I find it's annoying if I forget it and the windshield fogs over.

2) I believe the prop sync needs to be off for landing. I'm sure of it on the 980, but I think so for the 690 as well?

Otherwise, looks great!

Agree! And I’d get rid of OS gov checks and TQ limiter checks and setting parking brake when parking etc etc but whatever works best for you and your techniques. I use a flow from top to bottom. It drives me crazy when pilots taxi out without the flight director pitched up, the HSI and bug set for runway heading, or any lights on the annunciator panel etc but that is a technique I was taught, doesn’t mean it’s the right way for everyone or needs to be specified on a checklist.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 12:36:21 am »
I agree-- you really don't need (or want) to do the Overspeed Governor check on a regular basis. Honeywell does not recommend it. The only reason you see it on checklists is because long ago, a proofreader at Commander inserted a comma where there shouldn't be one.

You should do the NTS Check Valve test any time you do a start with an NTS check (which in my case is every start, but on a 690 maybe only first flight of the day)-- but here is a tip: do it as the final thing on your lineup check, when you are on the runway and the props are already in high RPM. This saves you from having to go to high RPM to do the check and then back to low. On a 690 in particular, it's easy-- props high RPM, NTS L and then R, no lights either time, push the power forward and go.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 08:20:51 am »
I need to ask the engine shop again in order to freshen my data but I have never seen a failure of the actual NTS system unless there was a prop strike involved.

And if it’s only called for first flight of the day, I always wondered if the checklist writers thought the more important people were on the first flight of the day?  :P

Maybe what they meant is to check it once in a while. Instead they set up a “no go” scenario with a test system that’s possible the single most failure prone system on the plane after seat recline cylinders!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 11:57:58 am »
I agree about the reliability of the NTS system. Norm told me that they did away with the test altogether on the -14s in the Cheyenne 400 because it was so reliable the test was deemed unnecessary.

And worse, the most likely failure is of the pressure switch used only for the test itself!

That said, on a Jetprop it is so easy to do (just flip a switch and watch the light) that it is a habit pattern for myself, and so I do it every time. On a 690, with the more awkward switches, I can understand not wanting to do it all the time, although even in a 690 it is one of my habit patterns to do it every time.

And, if you do the test, regardless of whether it is a once in a while or an every time, you should make sure the check valve closed afterwards by doing the check valve test.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 12:02:16 pm »
Also, there was an MU-2 accident at HIO some years ago which had a lot of sketchy stuff going on, but one aspect may have been a post-maintenance NTS failure. The airplane went straight into the ground in a big fireball, so I don't think they were able to figure much of anything out mechanically.

TXGold

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 10:28:13 pm »
Thank you very much for the tips. I'll edit and upload when done.

I do the NTS check every time I start, and prop check first flight of the day. The check with NTS switch left and right on taking runway with hitting switch and no lights... What test is that?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 11:29:43 pm »
By "prop check" do you mean the overspeed governor? Because that is way overkill. Honeywell only wants you to do that if you intend to shut an engine down inflight or have just come out of major maintenance.

The check I was mentioning on Lineup is the "NTS Check Valve Functional Test" and it should be accomplished if you did an NTS check on start. For the 980, this is the factory procedure:

NTS Check Valve Functional Test-- ACCOMPLISH prior to first flight of day. May be accomplished on or off the start locks.
a. Power Lever- FLT IDLE
b. Condition Lever - HIGH RPM
c. TEMP/NTS Switch- NTS. NT light illuminated; NTS TEST light on center instrument panel should not illuminate.
d. TEMP/NTS With- NORM. NT light out.
e. Condition Lever- LOW RPM

So you can see that the key part of the test is that with the condition levers at high, you press the NTS Test switch and see if the NTS TEST light comes on. If it does, the test failed and if it does not, it passed. If you already have the condition levers at high because you are about to take off, it is very easy and takes 2 seconds.