News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Good shop for KFC300 work?  (Read 1544 times)

dmt

Good shop for KFC300 work?
« on: January 10, 2023, 08:24:53 am »
Hi All. I have a 980 with Garmin panel (750/650 and two 600txi's) and a KFC-300. The KFC300 has gotten to where it will not engage A/P (you flip the lever up and it will not latch, despite repeated tries) until something like 30 minutes into the flight. Once it engages it works just fine, and on subsequent flights that day it tends to engage with no issue. My local shop sent out the control panel for overhaul but that did not solve the problem, and I am looking for an avionics shop that has experience with KFC-300's and can tell me which other box to send them. Anyone have a recommendation? Who is good on legacy autopilots?

Thanks in advance!

David
N218MS

JMA

Re: Good shop for KFC300 work?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 11:16:55 am »
David, would give a call to Winner Aviation (Youngstown airport).  I think you are east coast like us.  Been taking 980 there since new.  May be able to help you out.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 11:34:51 am »
I hope you find someone. This sort of stuff is getting harder and harder to figure out, which is why I ended up going with a modern autopilot in the end. That said, the KFC-300 is an excellent autopilot, when it works properly. It is just getting old.

dmt

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:21:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I did call Winner today, and from the recording it sounds like they are closed for some facility work? I expected someone to answer the phone....Hope it is temporary. I will keep searching, open to any other suggestions.

And yes, I am based in Plymouth, MA, so East Coast for sure!

Best,

David

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 12:43:58 pm »
It sounds like maybe you just need some advice? Maybe a phone call to Naples or Eagle Creek's avionics should would be helpful?