News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Training  (Read 3065 times)

donv

• Administrator
Training
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:18:34 am »
I have been training with Barry Lane of Larry York Aviation for the last few years, and now Larry is retiring, and Barry is taking over the business:

https://www.thecommanderguy.com

I have to say, honestly, that Barry is one of the best instructors I have worked with (and I have worked with a LOT of instructors over the last 35 years!). Every time I do a recurrent with him, I learn something new. Barry also did the certification flying on the 3100 autopilot (using my airplane), so he is extremely knowledgeable on that topic.

I can't recommend him highly enough. I just completed a recurrent with him last week, and as always it was a great learning experience.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 12:14:36 pm »
I just completed my recurrent with Barry Lane. As usual, a great experience and I learned quite a bit! Especially some great Garmin tips and tricks.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 12:38:36 am »
Don, how much is it to do recurrent, if you don't mind sharing?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 12:44:13 am »
I think it was $3200, but then of course that is just Barry's fee, you have to fly as well. And we were at his home base, so there was no travel expense on his part.

And how much you need to fly can vary based on currency, etc. I don't know what he charges for an initial-- this was a recurrent.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 11:02:31 pm »
Gotcha. Still pretty reasonable. SimCom was $8K 5 years ago, doubt it's gotten cheaper.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:30:37 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 11:11:46 pm »
I think Barry provides vastly better training than SimCom. He's one of the best instructors I have worked with, on any platform.