News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wasn't going to do this  (Read 6238 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Wasn't going to do this
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:28 am »
I own a Cessna 310Q in addition to my Commander and was hoping this post would have been pictures and video of a Commander in the Bahamas.  I wasn't going to post this here because it's not specifically Commander related, however, I think we should try to do a similar trip with a few Commanders and hoping these videos will inspire a few of you to do it.

I just got back from a trip with another pilot and 310Q to the Bahamas with the family.  The trip will forever be burned into our heads as the most perfect vacation ever!  Having your airplane with you like that and being able to hop from island to island in just a few minutes reminds me of riding horseback in the mountains for a week and the feeling of just you and your horse.  I love my 310 but am more excited than you can imagine to be able to start flying my Twin Commander to do similar things.  Here are a few video clips and a photo gallery of the trip and I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't been before.

Hope you enjoy:

Pics: https://gshutter.smugmug.com/Family/Vacations/Bahamas-2015

Videos: You can search for Glenn Hancock on youtube and find them all but here are a few links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNSiLE96o0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSSh5VKNVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4mta1ohGm0

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:39:37 am by ghancock »
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Wasn't going to do this
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
The first link doesn't work, but I figured it out. Very nice!

Where all did you go?

We often go to Long Island, to a place called Cape Santa Maria (near Stella Maris). I've had the 980 in there twice now. It's a long haul from the west coast, but fantastic once you're there!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »
We were at Rock Sounds, Black Point, Governors Harbour and Harbour Island.  Weather was bad a few days so didn't get to fly but had a great time everyday.  Going back soon hopefully in the Commander.
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
I'd love to take a week or so and bounce around among those places in the Commander. Right now, with teenagers, it's easier to go to one place and stay, but in a few years that will change.

My brother has a Grumman Goose, which is the ultimate Bahamas airplane!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 04:15:33 pm »
Two Thoughts:

Grumman Goose:  yes, if you happen to already be in the Bahamas with it.  Filling those 485hp engines and 160mph cruise (maybe), I would think it would outdo the Commander on one and not the other. :-) But boy would that be cool to land on the water and it would do away with the need to rent a boat.  Which might just offset the added fuel you'd need to buy.

The older kids:  They'd actually have a blast if you plan the trip around going to islands and renting boats to go snorkeling at places like the caves and reefs.  It would cost more renting boats everyday but honestly, the islands are so cool that there are tons of things to do in one spot.  I honestly don't like hanging around the same beach all week but had no problems down there because the water was so awesome and they have kayacs you can take out and mess around.  Rock Sound is in a round cove of sorts and the water is a lot smoother for things like that.

Either way, I'd recommend it.

Glenn
--glenn

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 04:40:11 pm »
I took my 520 into Johnson Creek, ID a few years ago for the Backcountry Fly-In. 3200ft grass strip at 5000ft elev. I was the only twin in there. The old girl performed like a champ, but it is also the shortest takeoff twin Commander ever made. 950ft fully loaded. I very often took off in mine lightly loaded in only 600ft. In any case, I highly recommend a trip into Johnson Creek for that fly-in. I will try to take the 680V in there when I get a little more comfortable with her short field performance.

Here's a 600ft takeoff I did in the old 520 at my home airport. 2/3 degrees flap and yank the elevator back at 45kts.

https://youtu.be/0zEhHJkUERE
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 05:27:58 pm »
Glenn--

My brother's is actually a Turbine Goose, which is even better! I remember being with him when he feathered an engine and passed his buddy who had the piston Goose. His buddy promptly went out and bought a Turbine Goose himself!

Still, you are certainly right that I'd rather be in the Commander going across the country than the Goose.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:59:27 pm »
Now that sounds awesome.  I didn't know they put turbines on them but that would be the way to go.  I bet it gets everyone's attention when they start spooling up on the lake/ocean :-)

Glenn
--glenn