News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Internal Gust Locks  (Read 4135 times)

donv

• Administrator
Internal Gust Locks
« on: April 09, 2023, 01:05:17 pm »
I'm curious, for the 690/Jetprop guys on here, how many actually use the factory internal gust lock?

I've notice a lot of Commanders are missing it altogether, so for those who do not know what I am talking about, it is two pieces of metal, connected by a wire. One piece is a rod with a thing on top which says "Control Lock Installed" and goes into a hole on the control yoke to secure the ailerons. The other piece is a T-shaped pice of metal which connects the control column to the rudder pedals to secure the elevator and rudder. You can see from the AFM excerpt how it works.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Internal Gust Locks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 01:06:39 pm »
I should add, I only know of this for the rams-horn yoke Commanders-- 690A and subsequent. I don't know what they had for the older type of yoke, if anything.

schrambow

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 09:19:14 am »
Doesn't exactly apply to Commanders here, but does mention control locks which is why i thought posting in this section here.
But this is an interesting read on a DC-4 that happened a long time ago. Quite incredible actually.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 12:20:30 am »
That is a good story (I've long been a fan of Peter Garrison), and different from the typical "takeoff with the gust lock engaged" that you so often read about.

JMA

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 03:51:51 pm »
Religiously put that on after taxi DonV.  Then right outside to put on the external lock.