News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What is this Gauge?  (Read 1562 times)

Rob

What is this Gauge?
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:58:59 pm »
I'm still on the hunt for the right 500A/B. Inside the gear well there is a pressure gauge. Just wondering what this gauge is measuring and what pressure it should be reading on the ground?

donv

• Administrator
Re: What is this Gauge?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 12:21:41 am »
It's been a long time since I've flown a 500, but I'm going to guess that is the nitrogen pressure for the emergency gear extension. At least that is what it would be in a Turbo Commander, and deep back in my memory I seem to recall the 500 having the same basic gear system.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:31:46 pm »
Yes, it's nitrogen for the gear extension.

It's supposed to read 275-350 psi, aka the green arc. That one looks about right to me.

That's a clean looking gear well.
500B, B200

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 01:32:43 pm »
Yes, nitrogen.

Most have been modified with a Schrader valve, just like a tire valve, but some still have the older fitting where you have to connect the hose, pressures it and then with a tool turn the hex bolt to let Nitrogen in.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 07:30:17 am »
Thanks for the feedback. One of the aircraft I was looking at (not the one in the picture) read nearly zero on the gauge and I didn't think this was correct. I'm still looking!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 11:50:02 am »
I wouldn't run away from an airplane because the nitrogen pressure was zero, especially if the airplane has been sitting a long time. But it might be an indication... I've had mine leak, and it was the valve where you connect the hose.