News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500B in the wild  (Read 3364 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: 500B in the wild
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2023, 01:08:43 pm »
Nice! What route did you take to get up there? Any interesting stories or places to recommend?

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 03:03:12 pm »
We went up the coast in some of the best weather I've ever seen in AK. I had the Cassiar route and the Alcan in my back pocket, but on our departure day it was severe clear like I haven't seen before - we did over 1500 miles easy VFR in one day.

The return down the coast wasn't as nice and I did one short leg IFR, with an additional one day delay. It's not common to be able to meet the MEAs and be below icing, but we trundled along at 2 deg celsius at the MEA. I was all the way down to Sitka when the weather turned, and it was go forward IFR or turn around and go back up to Skagway/Whitehorse. The options for going inland once you're on the coastal route are limited.

Places to recommend? Anywhere! It's all amazing. Having a twin lets you do scenic flights that might not be very wise in a single (even the wisdom in a twin can be debatable.) I really like the SE panhandle and wouldn't considering trying to go through there in a single (plenty of locals do, but they are apparently invincible.) The Kenai peninsula is on the road system, so it gets the most tourists and thus has the most to offer. We enjoy that, but also like getting into smaller towns where the cruise ships don't make it. Homer and Talkeetna are two of our favorites.

Two activities I wouldn't skip: Glacier Canyon Paddleboarding, and Bear watching at Lake Clark park (not the platform - you're looking for the trip where you walk with bears.)
500B, B200

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 04:30:35 pm »
I also edited the 182 and 500B takeoffs to be side by side so you can see just mow much better the Commander performs. Most people don't believe this.

Note the 60 ft tree to the left of the 182 at the end.

https://vimeo.com/863653311
500B, B200

Badger

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 09:41:49 am »
Super!  Great video.  Thanks for sharing.  Isn't the 500B a great aircraft?!

Ed
Ed

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 04:39:33 pm »
Well that looks awesome Jim.