News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Airfram AD's ( AD94-04-13 and AD98-08-19)  (Read 7836 times)

Willis

• Retired: Engineer; PE, PhD, Professor Emeritus
Airfram AD's ( AD94-04-13 and AD98-08-19)
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:41:19 pm »
Since Im still searching for my Cinderella Commander, Ive run across a few that have made note of thier AD compliance record.

Specifically the Spar Cap AD (No. 94-04-13) and the leading edge AD (98-08-19)

I'd be interested in any discussion on these AD's.

Has anyone detected any cracks as a result of these inspections?

Do you think they were worthwhile to implement ( putting in inspection ports, etc)

Should I worry much about AC that have had a commercial history?

Thanks.

Bud
-Bud

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Airfram AD's ( AD94-04-13 and AD98-08-19)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:19 am »
I can only speak for mine as I don't have a ton of experience on these things.  According to quite a few Commander people I've spoken to the AD's are pretty worthless once you make sure your (new to you) plane doesn't have any issues.  Mine wasn't quite up but I decided to go ahead and get it done just to be safe.  It found nothing at all so on my plane at least it has no issues what so ever.  So I guess the question now becomes:  It is supposed to be done every 600 hours I think so does no cracks in 53 years mean it is reasonable to redo that test in  another 600 hours?

Also, the AD costs less than $2000 to perform on my plane but the labor involved to get the panels and stuff off are insane.  I'm more convinced that doing things like this breaks more on the plane than the original AD was meant to stop.

But hey, that is why we have government.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:21 am »
But some of them have more onerous AD's and I forget what the AD number is now. The later 500U and S series (Utility category), the 681, 685 and the 690, A and B series. Those are the ones that suffer from dissimilar corrosion form the strap. Basically anything made in the late 60's to mid to late 70's are susceptive. Before that they didn't have the stainless steel strap, and after that they removed it. To eliminate the inspections you need to do the STC, which is a big item. That's $100K fix. Otherwise it's a 36 month recurring inspection where fuel bladders need removing, so it costs around $15K per inspection, or $5K per year in reserves. It's not unsubstantial.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:36 am »
Yeah, mine only requires leading edge removal which mine has a plate there now and the interior removed at the spot where the attach points are.   So not nearly that big.  I also have a 63 so don't have the 2 metal problem.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »
Adam is correct... The wing spar AD's are not a trifle matter especially if you have one with the strap issues...And all of those are by serial number.. Also the bulkhead AD is no small matter as well... both are very expensive and the wing spar is $100 - 150k depending on who does it... Of course that is a full replacement and ends the AD problem...
As for the "inspection" process... installing the inspection hatches helps on future inspections but the fuel cells tend not to be so flexible if they are the originals and will crack when moved out of the way for the inspection.. so now you have the cost and labor of replacing left and right inboard cells.
Regardless, the safety factor is what is at hand and no one wants a wing to separate in-flight which has happened.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:33 pm »
The bulkhead AD is only for the 690 models, as I recall. And because they were pretty aggressive, they've all been done by now, I would think. I can't imagine there are many left that haven't had it done. If not done, then immediately discount the buying price by at least $60K.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.