News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Airframe sub-systems  (Read 9572 times)

Willis

• Retired: Engineer; PE, PhD, Professor Emeritus
Airframe sub-systems
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:21 pm »
I dont know of any aviation bulletin boards that break it out this way, but it would be handy to have a dedicated thread topic on a selected few items.

For instance:

Electrical systems
Fuel systems
Hydraulic Systems

I for one, would love to know more about the hydraulic and fuel systems, as I designed some for P/W back in the day.  Also, I know precious little about Skydrol; other than I hate it.  5606 is easy to design around, behaves pretty well with heat and wont give most of us skin rashes if you wear too much of it.

Im partilcuarly interested in Hydraulic Hose types;  Which ones are on a 500B, since Im enamored with that model?  The old school type can be re-built using stock hose and fittings.  Some AC you have to buy what the Airfram maker tells you.

-Bud

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Airframe sub-systems
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:45:46 am »
I created a few new topics for you on the main list.   As for you comment on Skydrol, I am in a learning curve at the moment.  I had the chance to switch over to the 5606 but chose to stay on skydrol simply because at 3000psi I was afraid a leaking hose in the engine compartment would result in a huge ball of flames and the skydrol is a lot less likely to burn. 

I went through nose to tail and replaced all o-rings with new ones and removed and checked all the fittings to make sure everything sealed up nicely.  I'm sure I'll still have a few things to chase as I start flying the plane but hoping that everything seals up nice and stays put.  I've found that wearing glasses and protective gloves that there have been very few times I've had any issues with it.  You just have to make sure you cover the fittings with a rag before you make that last turn on the fitting and that you have something under it to catch as much as possible.

I'm not saying its a pleasure to work with but getting a plane full of red stuff isn't much better.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:19 am »
I would like to see an Environmental and Pressurization section or something like that as well.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 11:40:51 am »
Done
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.