News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New guy from SBA  (Read 13491 times)

patrick lindsey

New guy from SBA
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
Wanted to introduce myself.  Patrick Lindsey, based in SBA: 695A (96032), N730MV.  Plane went down to Venezuela a while back and my family recently purchased it.  We got one back home!  Very long pre-buy and wait for the deregistration process, but the seller was very accommodating the entire time.  Open to telling the story, but lots of reasons to not go outside of the U.S. for an airplane if you are under the law of the FAA.  Plane is nicely put together with G600, GTN 750/650, KFC300, Hartzell's and it has the original nose steer.  Needs some TLC items here and there to make it an exceptional piece, but we're getting there - Western Jet doing the primary maintenance on the plane.  Considering RVSM since the plane's mission profile includes going coast to coast several times a year with regular legs to TX and CO.

This is my family's fifth TC (Previous 690B-II, 900, 690B, 980) Bob Mays found every one, although this one was a challenge.  I think our old 980 may belong to fellow forum member donv??  I grew up in the right seat of these planes and now piloting them feels extra special and natural.  Looking forward to using the forum for help/support and hopefully I can add to the braintrust when possible.  I'd like to add a special thanks to Russ Van Atter who came highly recommended to help with the delivery flight.  I will personally use the plane to aid in my own business and of course for the family trips of which we are planning many.  I do some for-hire flying with a C425 and GIII that are west coast based.  We considered a C425 for a split second before getting back into the Commander... pretty laughable now that I'm flying both regularly.

Best to everyone and glad to be here.

Patrick

donv

• Administrator
Re: New guy from SBA
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
Welcome! Beautiful 1000! The G600/GTN750/650 is really a great setup.

Yes, I do have your old 980. Thanks for taking such good care of it over the years!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:16:42 pm »
Welcome Patrick!

What a beauty - you have my dream configuration and interior! Eternally jealous.

A few questions - is Bob Mays still active?

Western Jet - any good? I both emailed and called and never got an answer back, but I do have an older oddball 680V that the mechanics probably aren't as familiar with. Perhaps they didn't want the hassle? But is it your experience that they are communicative and straight shooters? Service facilities that don't answer you are my pet peeve.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

patrick lindsey

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »
Don, that's fantastic!  Hope to get to see that girl again one day; lots of great trips in that airplane.  Any avionics upgrades?  Always wondered if the next owner kept the GNS/XLS or went another direction.  I love the GTN's or even the regular G530's, but a true FMS can be so nice when taking long trips in which ISA/Winds play a big role in fuel management.

Adam, thanks.  Bob Mays called our purchase his last hurrah, but he is most definitely still around.  Ran into him last week and we chatted a bit... he's flying his shrike some and doing repositioning flights on a local based 1000.  We have a roughly 30 year relationship with Western from back in the Jet Center days.  I don't remember seeing any 680's in there, but I think they'd be familiar with the plane.  I can ask their lead Commander guy to see what the deal is, but last time I asked I was told they were wanting more TC work.  Surprised they didn't get back to you.  They are super inundated with Gulfstreams though and that may have been part of the reason for their lack of a response.  We have had our Gulfstream serviced there since we've been owners in the last six years.  They are fantastic with those airplanes.  Saved us a ton of money in the long run by taking the preventative maintenance approach - fix it before it breaks! 

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Congrats on the 1000! I too grew up in Commanders and have worked with Bob and his former partner Walter (RIP) many, many times over the years.

Not sure how it worked out, but I sent a pilot your way for your SEF trip after talking to Bob the other day.  I remember your name as I am a longtime road racer. Anyway, your plane was owned by Norton Cattle and, prior to that, if I recall correctly, we brought it back from the Phillipines.  I swear there was an Imelda Marcos connection or story in there somewhere!  Anyway, I have flown sn 32 a few times over the years.

I look forward to talking to you sometime.

Bruce Byerly
309-397-2525

patrick lindsey

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:11:11 pm »
For sure, Bruce!  Thank you for the help with that as it was a crunch to put everything together.  Really a shame about Walter.

No doubt this plane will be a regular on the tarmac near the IMSA races this year.  Not sure, but I think the Rum Bum sponsor, Bacardi, operate a commander.  Would love to talk planes and cars sometime.  You still racing?   

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:14:08 pm »
Patrick-- I kept the GNS-XLSs for a while, but it was time to move on. I have a similar system to what you have, a single G600 with a GTN750/650 combination.

My GTNs are connected to the fuel flow, so it is very helpful for managing the fuel on long trips. I've taken her on some pretty long trips, as I'm sure you did-- heading to TEB next month, in fact.

Please tell Bob hello for me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:28:41 am by donv »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:46 pm »
For sure, Bruce!  Thank you for the help with that as it was a crunch to put everything together.  Really a shame about Walter.

No doubt this plane will be a regular on the tarmac near the IMSA races this year.  Not sure, but I think the Rum Bum sponsor, Bacardi, operate a commander.  Would love to talk planes and cars sometime.  You still racing?   

You are very welcome.  Glad to hear it was helpful!  Rum Bum has a 690B. Interesting crew. It's here now.  I'm still racing, just club level NASA stuff - not playing with the big boys.   Good luck this year!

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 03:08:29 pm »
Great looking plane.
I'm just down the coast at Camarillo, with my new to me 690A. Have been making frequent visits to SBA during my initial training and doing some mentor pilot time.

patrick lindsey

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 01:52:19 pm »
Bruce, glad to hear you're still wheelin'!  Looking forward to seeing you at the track sometime.  Will reach out via txt.

Patrick, we'll have to meet up in CMA or SBA soon...  I actually sent you a message on FB, but I'll send another.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »
Patrick's! I'm looking at Steve Binnette's lovely 980 at CMA on Monday around 12.30, if anyone of you want to join!

JMA

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
Hi Patrick- maybe I missed it, but any reason you are moving on from the 1000?

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/51457331/1982-commander-1000

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:27:55 pm »
Don't think Patrick Lindsey has been here much. Probably moved on to a jet, which seems to always be the next step for Commander owners.

patrick lindsey

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 01:41:12 pm »
Don't think Patrick Lindsey has been here much. Probably moved on to a jet, which seems to always be the next step for Commander owners.

Have definitely not been here much.  Apologies.

So the normal leg we're doing is SBA-DAL and looking at doing Wyoming regularly.  I don't mind sitting in the plane for 5hrs plus when the winds are strong, but when I am flying my folks they just can't hack it anymore.  That and the age of the airframe are the biggest reasons for moving on.  The plane just came out of getting touched up at Safford, looks incredible.  Did a quick trip to EYE, had John and Aymert work some magic on the engine rigging to match up the numbers.  Solid bird and as everyone here knows, it's impossible to fly around at 300+ knots for cheaper than a Commander. 

So more a quality of life decision for us to move into something faster with the legs to make that trip.  I've been flying GIV's and GV's for the past few years and the Commander is still my favorite.  Also gets more looks and more questions from the avgeeks in the FBO. 

patrick lindsey

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:46 am »
Snap from last month's visit to Eagle Creek... had to get this shot.