News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Turbo Commanders in Europe  (Read 30384 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Turbo Commanders in Europe
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:28 am »
Since I used to live and fly in both Sweden and UK, and was active on many boards there, I do get contacted about Commanders from time to time. Wouldn't say it happens often, but at least a few times a year. And one of the most common questions and worries are:

How do you service TC's in Europe?
How do you service Garrett's in Europe?
How do you get type rating in Europe?

I had to redact my email conversation here, as I hadn't gotten permission to publish it. But suffice to say that there are quite a few places in Europe that service them. One of them is Wermlandsflyg in Sweden for instance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:38:05 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Turbo Commanders in Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:01:53 am »
Here are the ones I know operate there. If you know of any other, please add to list:

D-IHSI 695
D-IUTA 690C
I-BLFE 690A
I-MAGJ 690A
M-BETS 695A
SE-GSS 690C
SE-IUV 690C
SE-LZU 690A
SE-LZX 690B
VP-BCT 695B
VP-BMZ 690D
OO-ROB
OO-GOA
N840PN
N690CL
N691CL
N71AH 690
N771BA
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:07:31 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 01:37:59 pm »
My 980 was delivered new to Germany-- formerly D-IMKO. She made a number of Atlantic crossings. However, the German owners seemed to use her mostly in the US, and eventually they re-registered her.

I know of a US firm which used to keep an 840 in the UK, but it was always US registered. I don't think they do so any more, however.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »
VP-BCT 695B is now N695RT and back in the USA
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:36:13 pm by SKYFLYER »

Sergio Vega

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 02:50:41 am »
Does anybody have an idea how much it will cost to ferry a 690 from the UK to California?

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:10:56 am »
Guess that would depend on how much you'd be contributing.  Ie: planning route, finding countries you'd be refuling in, getting prices of fuel there... Once you figured out the fuel expense then you'd need a pilot and have no idea how much they'd charge.  I would imagine the fuel would be half of the expense but would get you started.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
I received a quote for a pilot fee of $3500 for a pilot to sit right seat for insurance purposes, plus I'd pay all the pilot's direct expenses. This was for an Atlantic crossing from the US to Europe, using an experienced ferry pilot.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:46:35 pm »
$3500 seems about right. Roughly $1000/day. That assumes you'd do it in one, or at most two, days, with a day for travel.

A Turbo Commander can do it just about any time you want. Doing it in something like a Shrike would be a different story. You could spend a lot of time waiting out the weather.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:30:43 pm »
You can shop around, Patrick. Not all insurance requires an experienced ferry pilot. Some don't need it. Some want at least 5 crossings. Sometimes you can just add international to your existing one. Sometimes you can get European insurance through Europe that covers Greenland. That way your US insurance covers US and Canada, and the Euro one picks up from Greenland.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »
So what is the normal route for something like this?  I've always wanted to fly to Europe for no other reason than to do it.  Just never knew the most used route to do something like that.

glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:19 pm »
Interesting that your insurance requires someone to come along. I made my first two North Atlantic crossings in a Falcon 50, and neither of us had done it before (well, obviously on the second crossing I had done it once before).

That said, if you haven't done extended overwater flying before, it's probably a good idea to have someone.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 05:45:32 pm »
So what is the normal route for something like this?  I've always wanted to fly to Europe for no other reason than to do it.  Just never knew the most used route to do something like that.

glenn

Without installing HF radio, you have to do the northern route as it's the only place VHF works (but you have to be high). That means Iqaluit-Sondre Stromfjord-Reykjavik. Longest leg is about 750nm, but can be shortened to 400nm if you land at Kulusuk (dirt strip east Greenland). Problem is, Greenland doesn't have great approaches (VOR or NDB's mainly), can have shitty WX and very few alternates. So having a lot of fuel is a good idea as it might be the case you have to return to your departure airport if you can't get in.

If you have HF, you can use Goose Bay and go the more southern route. If you have great fuel capacity, you can also do the South Atlantic crossing from St. Johns to the Azores. You need HF for that and 1200nm range. Many prefer that during winter months as it's a little less severe weather. If you have really, really good range, you can do St. John's to Ireland direct. It's about 1600nm, but with zero alternates.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:56:36 pm »
Thanks for the info, will have to look into that just for the exercise.

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »
I just took a look at my insurance, and it covers me for "Western Hemisphere excluding Cuba, Haiti, and Colombia."

I would think adding Europe wouldn't be a big deal.

Of course, I'll be more likely to need to add Cuba coverage at some point than Europe, as I'd like to visit Cuba, and it's a more practical Commander destination.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »
If you ever think about actually taking your airplane to Europe, you want HF. And make sure you have radios with 8.33 spacing as well, and I think a bunch of other requirements.

A modern Garmin panel (430/530 or newer) should meet all the requirements.