News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Turbo Commanders in Europe  (Read 33170 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Turbo Commanders in Europe
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
Cuba is opening up to GA. There was a long article in either AOPA or Flying about it. Totally doable.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 03:09:00 pm »
Title: Flying to Cuba: Update for General Aviation Pilots
Date: 06/08/2016
Time: 08:00 PM EDT
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes

To view the webcast please visit

https://goto.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1100578

This is supposed to be all the new or known info on getting into and OUT of Cuba currently.. I understand it will not be as simple as filing an ICAO flight plan and showing up... also the purpose of the flight must fall into VERY specific parameters... so the lunch hop from south FL is most likely not going to happen.. at least for now.. but watch the webcast and get the details.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 04:16:00 pm »
I know a few people who have done it in Gulfstreams, and as international destinations go, it was pretty straightforward.

I'd really like to go there but probably won't happen for a few years due to my schedule, not specific to Cuba itself. Getting a permit is pretty easy at the moment.

It's only 950 miles across the Gulf of Mexico from Houston to Havana. I wonder if HF is required out there? I once went from Merida to Houston in a Westwind, and I'm pretty certain we didn't use HF on that leg.

Cuba is opening up to GA. There was a long article in either AOPA or Flying about it. Totally doable.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 06:56:37 pm »
Don, interested why one would want HF for Europe? Is it something other than the crossing?
I don't know anyone operating within Europe who mentioned HF for anything other than Crossings.
Just curious.
I haven't verified whether my insurance would require an experienced ferry pilot, with my piston they did. I would like to have one with me for flight planning and because it seems prudent.
I may be doing this, this summer.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:00:35 pm »
Any idea what options there are, if any for in flight weather data in Europe?
I've seen some options mentioned but the pricing seemed aimed at Gulfstream crowd.

Dhavillandpilot

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 07:28:22 pm »
Did the Atlantic in 2013 in my 685 without a working HF

Insurance wasn't an issue and VHF contact was fine

Also this was my first Atlantic crossing but I do have extensive South Pacific experience, Insurance company (QBE) were fine with this.

As far as weather went it was July and the only weather we experienced was the last 100 miles going into Preswick

Can recommend the Musk of burgers in Greenland

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:08 pm »

Which route did you take?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 12:47:52 am »
You want HF for the crossing. Once you're over there, it doesn't matter (8.33 spacing does, however, but if you have a Garmin panel, you'll be fine).

It's been a few years since I've done it-- maybe you can use satcom now instead? That would be much better, for sure.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 07:40:36 am »
As for Cuba, it is actually a quite simple trip.  I have a good friend that just went last month with his family in his 310.  File IFR, do normal paperwork and go.  He said it is a pain going through customs and stuff simply because, well, they don't get many visitors, but he said it was no big deal at all.  He also said not to hire a company to do the paperwork for you because there isn't much to do.

If anyone is interested in going let me know and I can put you in touch with him.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 07:43:03 am »

Also this was my first Atlantic crossing but I do have extensive South Pacific experience, Insurance company (QBE) were fine with this.

As far as weather went it was July and the only weather we experienced was the last 100 miles going into Preswick

Can recommend the Musk of burgers in Greenland

Ok, I may be missing something but haven't seen the write up on this forum in the trips sections about this here trip.  What gives?  Sounds like it would be an interesting read.  So get started and let us know when it is done. :-)  Include pictures ...

Would love to know route, gas requirements, the why you did it...

Come on, it's Saturday, you have all day. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:22 am »
Glenn I think if I got it correct one of the guys was wanting to know how much it would be to get a 690 back from EU to California... then got into insurance requirements and safety pilots and all the fees... etc etc... then radio requirements... but not sure anyone is actually making the leap across the pond...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:02:39 am by SKYFLYER »

Achim H.

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 08:48:41 am »
If you can fly at FL250+ or take the northerly route, you do not need HF. Most GA aircraft fly without HF these days.

You do need 8.33kHz channel spacing for IFR in Europe and soon also for VFR.

Also you will need a Mode S capable transponder, Mode C is not sufficient in Europe anymore.

For the instrument approaches in Greenland, you need an ADF on board even though nobody in his right mind would actually use it. A lot of pilots ignore this requirement but it still exists.

As to satellite weather, the most sensible solution is the ADL 140 https://www.ing-golze.de/products_adl140.jsp which is Iridium based on by far the most economic and most powerful solution out there. You can buy weekly data packages and it shouldn't be hard to resell the unit after your trip.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »
Just added N771BA to list. Seems to be operating out of the UK after a stint in the middle east.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:12 pm »
Glenn I think if I got it correct one of the guys was wanting to know how much it would be to get a 690 back from EU to California... then got into insurance requirements and safety pilots and all the fees... etc etc... then radio requirements... but not sure anyone is actually making the leap across the pond...
I may be doing it...

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »
Achim, thx for the info. I hadn't been on EuroGA for a while so I missed the discussion. It is nice to see pricing coming down to a point that this is reasonable. I've been spoiled by my XM weather flying in the US lately.