News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New ipad mount  (Read 7918 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
New ipad mount
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:28 pm »
I mounted my ipad in the middle of the front window using the RAM mount system.  It sits below and far enough from the compass where it doesn't swing it any and it is out of the way for the other instruments.  In my opinion there is no better place to mount it.  The problem is, it is up in the sun and typically over heats without some help.  I've tried sliding paper behind it and in my most recent video you can see a true redneck attempt to prevent overheating with a cut peice of silver window block material.

None totally prevented the problem so I made some changes in an attempt to prevent the probelm completely.  I don't know yet if it will actually work but figured I'd post some pictures of my project.  I used a typical slide mount and some small 12 volt fans you'd typically find in a computer server.

Here are a few pictures of the finished project and I'll post back after tomorrow if it actually works.

This picture shows the front of the ipad mount and the holes cut in it with the fans mounted.
You'll also notice the top cover I added to block the sun from directly shining on the ipad.

This shows the back of the unit with the fans mounted.  I had to cut the bottom lip off where the fans actually sit as they were about 1/8" larger than the area I had to work with.

Tomorrow I'll be wiring in a plug and wiring both fans together.  I'll take some more pictures of the ipad mounted and will let you guys know if it actually works.  I'm hoping the air will keep everything cool :-). Fingers crossed.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: New ipad mount
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:22:18 pm »
I'll be buying the panel mounts when I redo my panel. There are multiple manufacturers. They come with their own ventilation holes.

I use my Foreflight more than anything else, and I also want to have two side by side. Ome on IFR, the other on VFR map for situational awareness.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:52 am »
I thought about those but they are very specific to the ipad model you purchase it for and Apple is constantly changing things.  I also don't have any extra room on my panel to put it.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »
Interesting system. I've never seen the need for any sort of iPad mount, myself. I just set it on the copilot seat, or on the floor between the seats, and it works great...

However, I have a nice moving map display on the panel, and I'm still used to the old days, where I had my paper Jepp chart on an unlit clipboard in my lap... the lighting alone of the iPad seems miraculous to me.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »
All good points.  I don't have a fancy panel as I prefer the steam guages.  I use the ipad though with the synthetic vision and charts when shooting approaches and use it for finding waypoints on airways since the 530W doesn't have them.  So I actually use it quite a bit and sitting in the floor while working isn't really what I'm after.

Maybe when I upgrade to my new turbo commander I won't need it so much :-)

Glenn
--glenn

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:48 am »
What source are you using to power the fans??? I have seen this set-up using a micro solar panel much like the system used to cool the clarity so no cords.. Have you used yours yet? Does it keep your ipad from shutting down due to heating...

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:48:19 pm »
Well, very very good question.  So the fans I used are 12v fans and obviously I have a 24v system.  I have a battery I was going to wire in to test things out first and started to look into solar panels but couldn't find one small and powerful enough to sit on the glare shield.  I'm taking the plane though tomorrow to have ADS/B installed and I think I'm just going to have them install a plug somewhere that I can plug them into.  I do not yet know if the entire exercise will be fruitful or not. 

Stay tuned,

Glenn
--glenn

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
Lol,  theirs is a lot nicer than mine.  If they had one though I'd probably purchase it.  I am still playing around with mine as I'm still over heating if it is really hot and in direct sunlight.  Getting close to finalizing it though so will post pictures when it is totally finished.

Glenn
--glenn

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 08:07:04 am »

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 11:29:55 am »
Thanks for the link.  If mine works out it will be a lot less expensive and lighter.  I'm a bit afraid that one is a bit too heavy to hang on the center post, especially if you stock it with all the batteries.  It is cool there is another option out there though.

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn