News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gust Locks  (Read 31176 times)

Russell Legg

Gust Locks
« on: October 10, 2015, 12:07:58 am »
Hello Folk,

The following is a series of raw conversations regarding TCFG members' thoughts/experience with using gust locks.
These conversations are sourced from the TCFG Chatlist in the early 2000's and are strictly the opinions of members at the time.
While I am sure the experiences discussed are still as relevant in 2015, it should be noted that some key members featured have since passed out of Commander ownership.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Russell
VH-CAU
560E s/n 726

Gust Locks

This recently happened to my Commander while waiting to be painted. The paint shop had moved her outside forgetting the gust lock and low and behold there was a gust. They replaced it at their expense thankfully.

It's cheap protection. Buy a controll/gust lock.

Gary

Mr. Crunkleton is spot-on in his comments about rudder locks.  Those who have
trained with me know it's one of my kinks.    NEVER leave your Commander with
the rudder unlocked, either with an internal or external gust lock.

Aero-Dyne, the accessory arm of Commander-Aero of Dayton, Ohio. http://www.commander-aero.com/

Aero-Dyne makes a very user freindly rudder gust lock. Not only is it
reasonably priced, but it's easy to use, which encourages it to be used.

.  "When you leave the cabin, you should have
the gust lock in your hand.  When you re-enter the cabin, you should have the
gust lock in your hand"  Good nigh kids  capt jimbob

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Gust Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:11:30 am »
Thanks again for the post.  I have a few more things to order for my new plane. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:28:22 am »
I was taught to always use the gust lock. In the hangar or on the ramp, doesn't matter.

I also use the internal control lock if I know I'm going to be parked outside. If you aren't used to it, it can be a bear to install, but now I can get it on before the props have stopped.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »
So question:  Can you install the gust lock external and internal locks and still have the plane moved by ground people?  ie: Is it ok for me to pull up and install them even before they move the fuel to its bedding place for the night?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:29:28 pm »
Absolutely. It makes no difference at all.

The reason you need a gust lock on the Commander is because the rudder is not attached to the nosewheel in any way. So, unlike a lot of other airplanes, it will just flop around in the wind if it's not secured.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll get one ordered next week when we get back from the Bahamas.  I ended up having to fly the 310 down here and glad I did without the gust lock since we're sitting here inside with 35MPH sustained winds outside. :-)

Glenn
--glenn

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:44 pm »
Does someone have a quick link to them please?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
Does the 680FP have a provision for an internal gust lock?

The 690s and JetProps have a little hole in the yoke where the aileron lock goes, and a post on the back of the column. There is a little metal tube which connects the rudder pedals to the post on the back of the column, and the whole affair is connected via a bit of wire.

According to Bob Mays, it's one of the two most difficult things about flying a Commander, and I have to agree with him! But it works well, once you figure it out.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:32 am »
I have the internal lock that attaches to the yoke and rudder pedals.  If I have that do I also need an external lock as well?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn

Russell Legg

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 08:28:57 am »
Hi Folk,

The following is from the Commander Aero parts guide - www.commander-aero.com

Cheers

Russell

CONTROL LOCKS External Control Lock - Gust Lock
Internal Control Locks
Control locks are a proven way to protect the controls of an airplane when it is parked on the ground and subject to external wind forces. Both internal and external control locks should be used whenever your airplane is parked on the ramp, regardless of the length of time you intend to keep it there.
PRICE LIST
CL12 1-ES External Control Lock $299
CL123-IS Internal Control Lock $395
(for Commander models with side-mounted control columns)
CL12 1-IC Internal Control Lock $395
(for Commander models with center-mounted control columns except 690 and 695 series)
Call 888-881-5580 to order your control locks today.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:34:39 pm »
I use both the internal and external locks. Every Commander pilot I know swears by the external lock, and most of them swear at the internal lock...

I put the external lock on right away when I exit the airplane, and only take it off right before I start (or, at least once, after I started and then had to shut down and go take it off). That's true even if I'm only going to be somewhere for 5-10 minutes.

I don't put the internal lock on if it's going in my hangar, but otherwise I use it all the time. My airplane never moves from it's spot in the hangar once it's parked, though. If I were hangaring at a big FBO, I'd probably put the internal lock on as well.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »
A true testament of how well a gust lock works...and why you should always be using them... notice the commander in the left of the screen... not a single flap while the 74 is all but airborne.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhZwvdRR5c

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
LOL, Awesome video.  I'll order me an external lock tomorrow :-)

Glenn
--glenn

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 10:32:15 pm »
So question:

I purchased an external gust lock but have a question:  1) When I shut the airplane down it sits at 1000psi on the hydraulic system.  If there is pressure on the system my mechanic is telling me that the rudder is actually forced into its position and would therefore break the rudder or lock if a ground crew moves the airplane while there is pressure on the system.  2) To bleed the pressure it appears I'd have to cycle the flaps and am then left with flaps partially down if I don't time it just right.

So is this true first of all and if it is true then how do you install an external gust lock and still have the ground crew be able to move the plane after you leave the airport?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:29:09 pm »
I don't know how the flight controls or hydraulic systems work on a 680FP. On the Commanders I do know, the 690/695 and (to a much lesser extent) the 500 series, the hydraulics have nothing to do with the rudder. Given that the 680FP has the skydrol system, I suppose it's possible, but it would be surprising.

What would the hydraulics do with the rudder? Some sort of yaw damper?