News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gust Locks  (Read 22417 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Gust Locks
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 12:00:48 am »
Also, I still don't really understand-- but maybe the 680FP is different. On all the other Commanders, the rudder is never connected to the nosewheel in any way, at any time. Is the 680FP different in this?

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 06:43:43 am »
I have no idea and don't have the service and parts manuals to look but I agree.  It was a bit confusing when he told me and I questioned him as well.  He seemed pretty convinced though so figured I'd wait and ask the experts.  I guess I'll send an email to Morris for final confirmation. :-)

I'll post back his response just for confirmation but at the moment I'm leaning more towards our side than my mechanics.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

craigk391

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 05:43:24 pm »
At least you are looking at "buying" a gust-lock.  I had my swanky new one stolen off my Commander while it was sitting on the ramp in San Diego.  The shiny red flag must have gotten some fine fellows attention...    :-[

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 09:14:47 pm »
lol, was wondering why mine looked a little used. :-)

It's a bit stiff installing it but I guess it will loosen up a little once it gets used a bit.  I talked to the mechanic again about it and he didn't seem so sure he was right but will test it to be sure when I go  to pick up the airplane.  I have never read anything about the nose wheel being connected mechanically to the rudder and if it were then why would you need the brake portion of the pedal to drive the nose wheel?

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 01:51:41 am »
Since this thread was started, I've really come around to always using the internal control lock-- even if it's going right into the hangar.

It's now become part of my flow to shut the engines down, set the start locks, and as the engines are spinning down, I pull the control lock out from behind my seat and put it in.

I did have an odd experience, though. I had a contract pilot (old friend of mine) do a trip in my airplane, and when I got in it for my next trip, something was wrong... but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was having a hard time getting the control lock off, and then I realized-- he had connected the rudder portion to the tops of the pedals! Normally, it goes on the bottom.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 08:22:25 pm »
Anyone know where to buy a rudder gust lock today? Aero-Dyne seems to have gone away....
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 10:20:45 pm »
You could probably make one without much trouble. That is what I would suggest. Or try Aero Air-- if they don't have one, I would guess they could make one for you pretty easily. For that matter, I'd call Eagle Creek and Naples as well, just to see if they have one.

JMA

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 11:02:08 am »
Funny been putting that gust lock on since i was a little kid, flipping that bungee around the horizontal stabilizer.
Think my father can do the internal lock blindfolded "before props stop"- as you said Don

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2022, 02:06:39 pm »
https://twincommander.com/category/2020/

"The factory is also developing a new rudder gust lock that addresses customer feedback."
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 02:11:53 pm »
Have you spoken about that with them? I kind of need a new one myself, or I need to rebuild the one that I have...

"The factory is also developing a new rudder gust lock that addresses customer feedback."

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 12:45:22 pm »
No, not yet. Been distracted with everything else with a new plane.
500B, B200

nrosoff

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2022, 01:43:41 am »

Does anybody have a update on this?

Neil Rosoff