News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Garmin 750 Waas  (Read 8432 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
New Garmin 750 Waas
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:08:02 pm »
Just got the plane back from replacing the 530W with a new 750W.  Reason is mainly the plan to install radar at some point and needing a unit that can display everything on a single screen.  Also moved the auto pilot up to the top stack instead of being down under the yoke where I literally could not see it.

Just got back from Miami yesterday and the unit is functioning really nice.  Have a few bugs to work out in the next week or so but overall impression is good.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in Vegas.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
Re: New Garmin 750 Waas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »
GTN 750 is a great unit. The latest update give it some really cool features related to RF (radius to fix) approaches, which I'd like to try out-- if they finally release any public use RF approaches!

The only thing the GTN 750 doesn't do is a reasonable VNAV. Other than that, it does just about everything I could ask for.  They have made some big improvements along the way-- I started with the 650/750 shortly after they were first released.

If you don't have it, the iPad simulator app is useful for getting comfortable with the unit.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:47:17 pm »
Yes, I've been playing with it.   But what do you mean about it not doing vnav?

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »
Maybe I missed something, but on mine you can give it an altitude to descend to and a rate, and it will tell you when to start down. Whoopee. 3 miles per thousand feet pretty much does that as well.

A true VNAV will give you vertical guidance (like a glideslope) all the way down, and tell you what altitude you will cross the fix at if you keep doing whatever it is you are doing now. As far as I know, the GTN will do none of this.

Yes, I've been playing with it.   But what do you mean about it not doing vnav?

Thanks,

Glenn

Steve binnette

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 12:21:02 pm »

Th VNAV on the 750 is the same as on the 530.  Like Don says only a single point.

I use it as a reminder for the top of descent. 

With a FMC or a more integrated system you can fly a STAR on AP and hit every point on speed and altitude.  If you choose to hand fly at any point there is a flight path indication for you to follow.

If you have a G600 you can use the altitude prediction arc to assist on the complicated arrivals.

In my airplane I will set my altitude capture to my assigned altitude then select the crossing altitudes on my G600 alt selection. 

Then it's just a matter of keeping the arc on the crossing point. It eliminates the mental math.

Without AP and VNAV integration, full VNAV from a 750 would not add a lot.

A few more points to preprogram would be nice along with a FP indication.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 06:48:49 pm »
I didn't know about the G600 altitude prediction arc! I will have to give that a try.

Steve binnette

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:23:57 am »
I think that was part of the last upgrade for the G600.  It's a nice feature.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:22:14 pm »
It doesn't look like mine has that feature. Next time I get some work done, I will have to get the latest software update applied.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:23 am »
Thanks for the info.  I didn't know all of that was possible, but then I don't fly the truly impressive birds you guys do. :-)

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:49:12 am »
Steve, was your airplane originally a King airplane, or Collins? I never found the Collins altitude pre-select system to be worth much (until you got to the much later 1000s), but I've never used the King system.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:51:28 am by donv »

Steve binnette

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 03:10:09 am »
I have a Collins AP and the altitude pre select takes a little getting used to it.

It's a really nice feature to have and the Collins works fine.  It just weird the way the VS is controlled by a knob that's nowhere near any of the other AP controls.  It captures altitude smoothly.

I had the KFC300 on my 421 and really liked it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »
The issue with the Collins is that you have to match your vertical speed with the vertical speed selected on the VSI (with no markings on that knob, of course!). I imagine once you get to know the airplane well, it would become instinctive.

My airplane not only doesn't have Altitude Preselect, it doesn't even have a pitch controller! You have to set the pitch attitude using the control wheel steering button, and when you release the button, it just holds that attitude. It does have IAS hold, which works pretty well in smooth air.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »
I finally got the G600 update, with the little altitude prediction line. That is quite cool!