News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Upgrade to alternator on IGSO-540  (Read 6714 times)

Huck-Mag

Upgrade to alternator on IGSO-540
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:04:03 pm »
Has anyone on the forum upgraded from generators to alternators on the IGSO-540?  Source and complexity/price?

Glenn, what are you running for electric in your plane?

Brent
680FL

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Upgrade to alternator on IGSO-540
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:08:03 am »
I'm still running generators and don't really see a need to change.  What is your primary reason for wanting to do this?

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »
I had generators on my 520 and was always told they didn't start recharging much below 1500rpm. So I'm assuming it's that - alternators give out even at idle. That said, never had any problems with mine. Had to overhaul them, but that was no biggie.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:12:47 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Huck-Mag

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:16 pm »
The generators are working fine for now but I was starting to consider a new electric air conditioning system.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:00:49 pm »
The generators on there are actually higher output and tougher than alternators.  It is true they don't charge at really low RPM but its more like 1000 RPM or so.  I idle at around 1300RPM (Geared Engines :-) and mine are outputting as soon as I start up.  I have no plans to upgrade mine and honestly you don't have the problems with them.  They are built like tanks.

Keep in mind, those things used to run lots of huge electrical drains on your plane that have now been replaced with tiny micro boards.  So I'd bet what you have would be capable of running an air unit in its sleep.  Maybe not, but I'd look into it first.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »
If it's the A/C unit I'm thinking of I think it draws 90 amps, so it's a pretty hefty load. Not sure the original generators can keep up with that.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Huck-Mag

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:26:30 pm »
Thanks, I'll snoop it out.  With the geared engines, I generally keep it at 1500 rpm.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
Yeah, I think my generators are 150amp but would have to dig a bit deeper to verify that.  Could be totally wrong.
--glenn