News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: N411VV  (Read 15364 times)

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
N411VV
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:57:25 pm »
Greetings.

I'm a new member to the twin commander group. I recently bought N411VV at an estate auction. Needs work :)

Jens

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: N411VV
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:26 pm »
Hey Jens! Welcome and congratulations!

I'm probably the owner with the most recent 520 experience here and I did actually almost bid on yours. I owned N20VE for 3 years and flew her 350hrs. Great little aircraft. N411VV was in great shape a few years back as I recall, but I've come to understand she's been sitting a bit. If you could fill us in on her current condition, that would be great. What does she need?

You need to put Morris Kernick's phone number on speed dial, he's the guy for these older Commanders: (321) 403-8813. Both me and Morris have quite a bit of spare parts. I have full set of brand new pistons, ailerons, flaps etc. And Morris has tons of other stuff. If you need engines, I have two newly overhauled ones that I know of that are sitting in Arizona. Owner was pretty old and sick last time I spoke to him, so he might sadly have passed by now. But maybe his family or estate can help you buy them, if you need that.

Also, check out my YouTube channel - I have tons of 520 clips on there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTrG-tHJbJT5lt1lkIXvXNw

Keep us in the loop and again - welcome!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Steve binnette

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:01:27 am »
Jens a little thin on info, you will get the most help by giving some specifics.

What kind of work does it need?  Areyou just looking to get it flying or do you plan on a complete restoration?  Do you plan on flying it IFR or just a VFR plane.

Some photos would be nice.  Morris is a wealth of knowledge from how to do something, to how to find something.

Good luck with it.  I think I need a project!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:31 am »
Welcome!

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:50 pm »
Thank you all for your kind reception.

A litle background...

I found my self working on N4188B for about 6 months at winchester airport (KOKV) and I fell in love with the 520.

Unfortunately N4188B is in pretty rough shape. When I saw N411VV I thought I just go for it. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I had a two people swing by and take a look at it and poke around. It's got some heavy skin corrosion below the side windows...like probably the skin needs to be replaced. The props look pretty nice, but I think they're timed out (5 years) I overhauled N4188B's props and I can bring those down if necessary. I understand the engines turned over fine 4 years ago so I think I can get them started again. One of the main struts doesn't hold air. The ailerons are stiff (N4188B were stiff...just needed some lube on the pulleys) The windshield is cracked, but the purchase came with a spare one. The brakes are rusty.

My goal is to take the best of both planes and make 1 good one. Then I want to fly the heck out of it. While I'm flying the remaining useful life off the current engines, I'm planning on having the other two engines overhauled...but if you know of two overhauled 435s...that might be more cost/time effective. When I put the fresh engines in, I'm going to follow up with a paint job, an interior, and whatever else it needs to be my adventure ship for years to come.

I will try to get in touch with Morris ASAP.

Thanks Again

Jens

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:45:08 pm »
Welcome and it must be nice to have 2 of the same airplane.  I'd almost have questioned the purchase until I got to that part.  If the side windows are leaking you probably want to pull out the interior side panels and make sure it isn't too bad along the walls and floor.  Sounds like you're working on it yourself so that helps a bunch and will make it a lot more fun once you get things worked out.  You'll know the plane inside and out which helps.  You also want to check out all of your cables where they run through the firewall and holes to make sure they haven't gotten too rusty or have breaks.

Anyway,  it is awesome to have you over and we look forward to seeing pictures and helping with questions

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »
2 is better than 1!  ;)

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:45:06 pm »
Service Change No. 26-520.

I called Morris. He was alittle busy so I figured I'd only got back to the mountain when I already have all my questions lined up. For now, does any body know about
Service Change No. 26-520? It apparently is the service change the raises the gross weight of the 520 to 5700lbs up from 5500lbs.

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
Update: Got the engines running. They sound sweet. Mechanical fuel pumps leak.  Central boost fuel pump inop. 3 pumps pulled and out for repair. Right strut needs to be rebuilt. Replaced cracked windshields. Looks nice now. Contacted Morris...a wealth of knowledge. He's working on getting some good props on the plane and some gaskets and a strut rebuild kit. Right vac pump inop. Right Gen inop. Tires and brakes in very good shape. Left fuel fuel cutoff valve semi-op (doesn't fully close). Right fuel cutoff valve inop. Side windows  crazed but ok to fly for now. Did I say the engines sound sweet? Lubed cables and pullies. Right vac check valve inop. Trim indicators inop. Mag Compass broken. Two fuel gagues...the one that goes to 20 inop...the other works. Where's the sender for the inop one? Some skin corrosion...repaiable. ....oh...and the engines sound sweet.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
Awesome news.  I'm not sure which sender your talking about, the aux or main.  The aux are inside the bladder and the main is in the baggage compartment in the sump.  Also, there are electronic adjustments in the fuse panel mounted on the side of the rear tail area.  Note: I'm describing where mine are and assuming yours are close.  Could be a little different though.

Great to hear she's running.  Also make sure that they lube the cables into the wing root.  If you stand inside the wheel well you'll see a bunch of cables headed towards the fuselage.  It is hard to lube them there but worth spraying some CorrosionX or something as far in as you can.  Also, might want to tension test your cables if it has been up for long.  And check your cables going through the firewall from your prop governor to make sure they are not scrapping anywhere.  Mine were on the front panel and the rear firewall but need to make sure they are not rubbing.

Good luck,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
The fuel gauge has two needles... one that goes from 0 - 20 gal (I'm assuming this is the aux) and the other goes from 0 - 130 or something like that (I'm assuming that this is the main). I only put 30 gal of avgas in it so maybe the the aux doesn't start reading until the main reads full. The only sender I've seen so far is the one in the baggage compartment. 

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:21 pm »
Ok, there are 2 gauges but actually 3 if you look closely.

You should have 2 aux tanks outboard of each engine.  They usually hold 20-30 gallons or so if you have them.  The aux gauge is the one reading 20 gallons and it should have 2 needles in it for each tank.  It is possible your plane only had 1 aux but that seems strange, just don't know that much about your model. Adam or one of the other guys can probably help there.

The other gauge is for your main tank and depending on how much it holds it might not be showing everything.  ie: mine holds 157 gallons in the main tank but my main gauge only shows 0-135 so it just shows full until I get below that amount.

You have sender units in each tank and you can adjust the amount they are reading on the gauges from the control heads in the tail breaker area.  Your service manual should show where they are and how to adjust them.

Good luck,

Glenn
--glenn

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:28 am »
The 520 gauges are not very accurate. Mine was empty when it said 25gal, and when I filled her up she was pegged above 130gal for over an hour of flying. As soon as it got down to about 50 gal on the gauge, I was landing.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 07:55:31 am »
However, if it is working at all, you may be able to adjust its high and low settings from the back.  If the needles don't move at all then something more sinister is about.

Glenn
--glenn

jensscott

• Get busy living
    • Summit Point Kart
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 06:25:28 pm »
Setup camp...