News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ILS Yesterday in the Fog  (Read 10180 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
ILS Yesterday in the Fog
« on: October 04, 2016, 09:32:01 pm »
Here is a video my wife took from the back seat during an ILS approach to minimums in Indiana yesterday.  The video looks worse than it was due to the brightness outside washing out but it was a tight approach that I wouldn't want to shoot again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAyaXzmU7CQ

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sergio Vega

Re: ILS Yesterday in the Fog
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:51:29 am »
Nice video Glenn!

Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:28:56 am »
Just saw this, Glenn.  Well done.  I like your iPad location.  AHRS, too?  Did I see that? 

Any problems reading the charts with the iPad up there (I still keep mine strapped to my leg...like I did with normal charts, etc, when flying fighters)  I have actually bought what I think I need to suction cup the iPad to the windscreen, but haven't yet felt comfortable leaving it up there during approaches.  I guess my habit pattern is to look down on my knee for data, although it does seem more efficient to keep the eyes up on the windscreen.   

One more question:  Is that a normal sized iPad or an iPad mini? 

Again, good job on the approach and landing!  Thanks for sharing!

Ed
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:03:35 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, was flying back from Denver in the Commander.

I don't like the ipad on my leg because it requires me to look down during the approach.  One of the nice things and different things about the ipad is that not only are you getting the chart but you are also getting the situational awareness due to your plane flying along on the chart.  So I tend to put it in my scan during the approach and refer to it a lot more than the actual charts.

I use the ipad pro that is the size of the air.  The ipad airs are the perfect size to me and I tried the mini but it was just too small and too slow.. 

Another nice thing about Foreflight and I hope soon in Garmin Pilot is the ability to not only have your chart up on the screen but also synthetic vision.  I've actually flown an approach using only this just to see if I could and it works surprisingly well.  Don't recommend doing it in bad weather but if worst came to worst it is good to know you could.

I have zero trouble seeing and reading the charts on the ipad and in fact have less than actual charts due to you being able to zoom in on them and then move them around if you want.

One thing I prefer Garmin Pilot for is the fact that you can use your Jeppesen license and view their charts instead of the government charts.  I do prefer them over the free charts but honestly there is nothing wrong with the free stuff and Foreflight is a lot farther along than Garmin when it comes to basic functionality.  As an example, when leaving Denver yesterday they gave me a departure procedure that in Garmin requires you to read and enter manually into the program, in Foreflight I just hit procedure and choose the departure procedure and the portion they wanted me fly and it threw in all the necessary points for me.

On a last note, if you look, your center post comes out of the airplane pretty easily and I mounted mine using one of the bolt on adapters for the ipad mounts.  I mounted it as low as possible to keep ipad away from my compass so as to not get any interference there (and I don't).  Also, you have to be careful with the suction cups.  They do work on flat glass but not so well if it is curved.  They also tend to fall off if they get too cold or if they have been attached a while and not reset.  Also, don't get one with a long arm because the ipad moves around too much when you're trying to enter fixes and trying to scroll around and press on things.  I like mine to be tight and part of the plane (I mean, stable.. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
Over xmas they're doing my panel. I'm putting two iPad panel mounts in, both with their own power. That way I can run IFR on one, and use the other for VFR situational awareness. The IFB's are game changers.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 08:22:06 am »
Lol,  Go ahead Adam, brag about all that extra room.  I see how its going to be. :-). I would love to have mine mounted on panel but just way too many gauges for me to pull it off.  It amazes me how clean the Turbines are up there when I would expect they would have more to watch, guess not.  Plus I think your panels are a bit larger overall anyway.

Can't wait to see the final deal though.  I'm certain that plane is going to be pretty awesome once you get her finished up.

Glenn
--glenn

Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 11:19:46 am »
Thanks, Glenn.  Great ideas.  I am still an iPad mini guy...partly because that is what I own now...and because the larger one seemed a little cumbersome when I initially used it (a few years ago in the early Foreflight editions).  My aircraft is getting her annual now, so I can't play with the different options for another couple of weeks, but, as always, am dying to get her back and FLY!
Ed

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 12:01:55 pm »
Ha, Glenn - actually don't think the panels are any bigger than on the pistons. This is same size as the 680FP or FPL, I'd guess. I'm just making the decision to give up the whole co-pilot side redundancy. I'll have two AI's (one is the one I've got and a newer electronic one), but the rest of the stuff on the right hand side is going. Clutter drives me crazy.  ::)

Badger - I also have iPad Mini and find it big enough if it's mounted close. However, I am a little enticed by the sheer screen size of the iPad Pro. Be too big too mount in panel I think, but if at all possible, I'd love to do it.  :o
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:04:28 pm by Adam Frisch »

Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »
Adam,

Where/how do you mount your mini?

Ed
Ed

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »
On one of those bouncy Ram Mounts with a suction cup on front windscreen. It's not a good setup as it blocks the view a lot and it gets hot with the sun beating down on it.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:00 pm »
Will you still have a second airspeed indicator and altimeter?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 10:09:53 pm »
Yes, but as part of a new electronic AI. Either a Sandia or the new little L3 Genesis probably. They have baro input and airspeed.