News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Training in turbine commander?  (Read 18887 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Training in turbine commander?
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:52:37 pm »
Is there anyone who does type training in Turbo Commanders where they provide the aircraft?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

Re: Training in turbine commander?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:13:23 am »
Adam,

I am not aware of anyone renting a turbine for training.  But if I sell one, I do offer transition training  :)

The forestry operators are probably training more pilots than anyone currently.  Having leased many Commanders, the intensity of in-plane training and the perceived wear and tear is often an issue with owners. 

Are you looking to get current in a plane besides your own?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »
Yes, I'd eventually like to be trained and current in 690A/B's and Jetprops, so that I can maybe take some ferry assignments down the road. But mainly just to know more about them for my own interest.

EricDapp

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:55:35 am »
I would like a jet prop flight manual so I can start learning the systems and numbers for the planes. Does the factory sell them or do you have to get a flight safety or simcom type? I've been watching eBay. I did buy  the giant 840-980 maintenance manual on eBay for $20. It's 6" thick

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:03:58 am »
Flight Safety is two volumes but they cover 840/900/980/and 1000 models.
You get them with the initial and recurrent (if you do not already have them) but I suspect that you can get just the books from them as well.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:55:25 am »
I would like a jet prop flight manual so I can start learning the systems and numbers for the planes. Does the factory sell them or do you have to get a flight safety or simcom type? I've been watching eBay. I did buy  the giant 840-980 maintenance manual on eBay for $20. It's 6" thick

Eric - I can sell you a new paper copy for a few hundred or much of the info is available digitally.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:54 am »
Yes, I'd eventually like to be trained and current in 690A/B's and Jetprops, so that I can maybe take some ferry assignments down the road. But mainly just to know more about them for my own interest.

If you go to Simcom for initial, you'll likely be more insurable.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 07:21:31 pm »

If you go to Simcom for initial, you'll likely be more insurable.

But that's all sims, right?

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:45 pm »
Yes, and I don't know how the Commander Sims are but the 421 wasn't all that impressive.  I wouldn't want to learn to fly my airplane in a sim. :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:06 pm »
For insurance, the key is having a good relationship with your agent, and showing them a syllabus so that it's clear that you are training with a plan.

In my case, I do it in accordance with a 135 operator's Commander-specific syllabus and training program, and insurance is fine with that (even though I'm not on the 135 certificate).

Steve binnette

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:42:46 pm »
Sims wont teach you to fly your plane.  They will create muscle memory and flow patterns.  Just by shear repetion.

Some abnormal or emergency procedures cant be done in the airplane.  So you just talk through them.  Something like a hot start.  In the sim you can see it and perform the abnormal.  That's much better than just talking it through. Same with NTS failure or very early complete engine failures.  Just can't do those in the plane.

It's frustrating when the sim has different avionics and A/Ps but that's ends up not being that big of a deal. You miss out on some failures that  can't be done because of the differences but the other systems are the same.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 06:05:13 am »
Adam,
I seem to recall reading a mention on BT of your going to Simcom for training, if I read it correctly?
It would be interesting for me and maybe others to hear a pirep or if this is something which you’ve already posted elsewhere, to point me in that direction.

KenFlo

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:57 am »
I attended the SIMCOM course earlier this year after purchasing my 690B with Bruce's help.  I had the B200 qual in the Army but hadn't flown turbines since then (2001).  Most of my time is in helicopters so fixed wing is only about 1000 hours.  Half multi-engine (Baron) and the rest single engine (P210).  My insurance dictated my training.  SIMCOM or something similar and 10 hours instruction in the airplane before I could fly with passengers.  I got them down to SIMCOM and 5 hours dual with 5 hours solo before I could carry passengers.
  Although SIMCOM sim is a 690B with -5s and round dials, it still provided me with a good baseline and understanding of the flight characteristics single engine and all of the EPs you can't really do in the airplane.  It provided a great jump off point to get in the plane with Scott at Byerly and fly with him for the 5 hours dual.  Scott has tons of experience in Commanders and did a great job of preparing me for solo flight in the 690B.  For initial qual, I would recommend both SIMCOM and at least 5 hours dual depending on you multi engine experience.  SIMCOM is pricey but you do get some printed and digital training materials that you can use as great reference material.  Others may differ from my opinion but that is my two cents.....

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 12:08:17 pm »
Hi Patrick!

Here's a brief pirep in this thread:

http://www.twincommandergroup.com/index.php?topic=482.msg5130#msg5130

Nice to have you back on te forum!

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
Hi Patrick!

Here's a brief pirep in this thread:

http://www.twincommandergroup.com/index.php?topic=482.msg5130#msg5130

Nice to have you back on te forum!
Thank you, Adam.
The irony of your having posted about attending Simcom in a thread originally begun by me looking for pireps, and my post today trying to find your post, is just a little bit funny. It reminds me of the mutt I had growing up who would spend hours upon hours chasing his own tail...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:27:13 pm by Patrick Kenney »