News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Refreshment centers the same?  (Read 12468 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Refreshment centers the same?
« on: October 19, 2016, 07:29:45 pm »
I was wondering if the refreshment centers were identical in the way the attach to cabin floor between all models? Rather than woodwork up a better one in mine, maybe I could just get a used one from an old cabin?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Refreshment centers the same?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:18 pm »
Hmm, this comes from the person that had to get an undrilled window because they are all different?  :-)  I've not seen two that were the same but am more than sure if you got one that you could figure out how to mount it.  I'm sure you'd need new holes but more than confident it could be mounted.

Glenn

--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:43 pm »
I would think you could find a used one-- maybe try White Industries. However, a used one might not be any nicer than what you have already.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:41:32 pm »
I'm also trying to save a bit of weight, so if a newer one that's lighter would fit, that would be a good option. But yeah, you can always jerry-rig it to the old mounting frame, I suppose. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:53:26 pm by Adam Frisch »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:41:36 am »
I was going to refurbish the old refreshment center, but it's just not worth it in the shape it is. Old, chipped plywood with plastic veneer.... The one behind the captains seat I don?t want or need, but would love to get one for behind the co-pilot seat. Does anyone have any old co-pilot seat RCs I could buy and refurbish sitting around?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:32 am »
Did you try White Industries?

http://whiteindustries.com/

You might also try Aero Air-- I know they are parting out a 690, and it may have had some interior parts (it had a medical interior in it last, but they may have whatever they removed from it before the converted it to the med configuration).

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:41:51 pm »
You know, you might also try the guy who is working on that 680V at the aviation college. They might have one, although it might not be any better than yours.

Have you given any thought to either rebuilding yours, or using yours as a pattern to just make a new one? That might cost you a little bit more, but I think you'd end up with the best outcome that way.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
I probably have 10. What color do you want?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »
I'm in contact with Bruce now, so hopefully he'll eb able to sort em out.

Yes, I was going to restore mine as a woodworking project, but you know how that goes...  ::)

Perhaps it's better I go earn money and let others do the woodworking... ;D

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
You should think about what you want to put in it, as well. That can influence the design.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »
Haven't thought about it that much, except I'd like cupholders on the top. A tool/flashlight drawer would be handy, and a snack drawer. A trash bag that slides out would also be ideal, but maybe thats a bridge too far?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »
I think we might have discussed this before, but I'm really happy with my setup (credit to the previous owner!).

On the left side of the airplane, I have shelving for books, charts, etc. While we all carry fewer Jeppesen binders around, there are still avionics manuals, the AFM, a binder containing flight logs and maintenance items, etc. I also carry some paper sectionals for the areas where I fly, and paper enroute charts for the US and Canada. All of that fills the shelving pretty well.

On the right side, I have the standard cabinet that my airplane came with. It has two main drawers, and a small compartment on the top, along with a place to set a cup. The lower drawer has an ice chest, which I use for bottled water (I do put ice in it during the summer, to keep the water cold). The upper drawer, which is pretty large, has cups, a few snacks, sugar, creamer, napkins, etc. On top of the cabinet is a little compartment which opens up from the top, and has a mirror on the inside, and I have playing cards, mints, post-it notes, that sort of thing. When I leave home base, I usually drop my home/hangar keys in there so I won't lose them.

I usually carry a thermos of coffee behind the copilot seat.

Finally, I have a little mini trash can, which goes right behind the side facing seat, between it and the aft-facing seat.

When the airplanes were new, the drawer module was about the same, but behind the pilot seat the cabinet had two large thermoses, a small cup dispenser, and an ice drawer. There was a little trash can which attached to the cabin door.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:46:36 pm by donv »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:52:38 pm »
A 12 pack cooler on the right with a POH storage box on the left attached to the pilots seat probably offers as much utility for some as anything the cabinet offers given the restriction it puts on the copilot seat room.  The composite pyramid cabinets we built for years gave the copilot recline room and a place for the potty seat pax to lean. I have a nice tan one available but those are relatively spendy at around $7,000 or so new as I recall.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:54:24 pm by Bruce Byerly »

Steve binnette

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 02:37:57 pm »
I have what Bruce is describing and it works well.  During my renovation Terry Wagner was able to fabricate a metal box that is opened at the top and attaches to the pilots seat. 

He painted it up nice and it matches the interior nicely.  It holds my POH.

With the extended seat rails you cant have a cabinet behind the pilots seat. 

With the box attached to the seat frame it moves with the seat.  So you get the storage and the extended seat rails.

Dons setup is prettier for sure but mine looks ok and I love the extended seat rails.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:45:19 am by Steve binnette »

JMA

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 04:33:26 pm »
Don- on the seats is that the original styling?