News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hunting for the pressurization bug  (Read 5703 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Hunting for the pressurization bug
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:05:18 pm »
Well, I decided that it was time to dive in.  I drained all the fluid from the system, removed the main shutoff valve and other components so that I could replace a few o-rings and pulled the hydraulic pump out of the system.  The plan is to check it out and fix anything I found. If nothing seems wrong then I'm going to go ahead and pull the super charger out.

After I removed the pump I noticed the main gear shaft was extremely loose and I compared it to the other one I have which was definitely tight.  Everything else on the pump looks good and I took it all apart to make sure.  The gear shaft fits into the pump with a screw and an snap ring of sorts.  It appears the main screw has broken off but i need to remove the one out of the other pump to be sure of how it fits together.  In either case the shaft seems to be way too loose and may have been my problem.  I'm planning to replace some o-rings and rebuild it tomorrow with a few replacement parts and see if it fixes the problem.  If not, then the next shot will be to remove the supercharger itself.  :-(

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Hunting for the pressurization bug
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:02:23 am »
Glenn, last time I saw Moe before his accident, he was talking about a ball bearing for a shaft in either his NY Airbrake system or his supercharger that he could not for life or money find the right dimensions for. Just didn't make them anymore. He said he was gonna drill the hole bigger and fit another ball bearing. Maybe it's the same wobbly shaft he was talking about?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
Re: Hunting for the pressurization bug
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:28:43 am »
Well, he didn't make any logbook entries for whatever he did so here's to hoping he did nothing. :-)  but thanks for the info, will keep it in mind.  I'm suspecting he didn't mess with supercharger since it would be a huge PITA to get out and the oil resevor leaks and doesn't look like it has been touched in quite a number of years.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.