News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Oxygen mask upgrade options  (Read 9630 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Oxygen mask upgrade options
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 02:15:53 pm »
We use the curtains once in a while. Mostly, it's the comfort factor of knowing it is there. Unfortunately, that mask is right in line with the curtain, but I would guess something could be done. Probably something I should look into.

The horse collar masks are fairly useless in an emergency, even though I renew the bungees. The old Boeing-style mask on my pilot's side is great in an emergency, but is always getting in the way the rest of the time.

DarylW

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 07:31:28 pm »
The hose clenched in the teeth idea - although unrefined- does have some physiologic advantages. The little bag below the mask or the long wide hose below the military masks are reservoirs, tanking up the delivered O2 while you are exhaling and upon inhalation delivering a higher FIO2. The clenched hose in the mouth idea uses your mouth and nasopharynx as a reservoir also and increases the percentage of inspired O2 beyond what the nasal cannula can do in your nose. In a pinch, if you just have nasal cannula (the old school continuous delivery ones) and you are 18,000 feet or higher, just put the cannula in your mouth, inhale like taking a draw on a pipe and exhale through your nose. I’ve been able to maintain 95% or more O2 sats or more at 20,000 feet in my turbo Viking a few times… at least that’s what I remember….
just some physiologic nerd stuff…..
A pilot is only as good as his next landing

TXGold

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 11:24:08 pm »
Thank you for the help. Does anyone know the name or type of the fitting I need to fit in my 690A? I like the idea of getting the copilot station the AEROX with no mic. Around $300 and easy to store under copilot seat. But I don't know if the fittings are compatible.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:59 pm »
It looks like the Aerox is only approved to FL250? I'm guessing because it is not a dilutor-demand mask. The Aerox quick donning masks look to be almost as much as the EROS system. I'm not sure what the OEM mask is, I will have to take a look at mine.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 06:58:30 pm »
If you told me the demand-diluting Aerox and the EROS were made in the same factory, I'd believe you. They seemed very similar to me.
500B, B200

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 07:20:38 pm »
You mean this?

https://www.aerox.com/4110-725-quick-donning-high-altitude-diluter-demand-mask-with-comfort-fit-headgear/

and this?

https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/safran-aerosystems/product-169069-7760.html

They don't look all that similar to me. The big thing about the EROS system is that you squeeze the little red tabs on the mask and the harness inflates. When you put it on your head, the harness deflates and it sucks tightly to your head. Does the Aerox do that? It doesn't look like it, but maybe they make one that does?

Either way, seems a similar price point.

If you told me the demand-diluting Aerox and the EROS were made in the same factory, I'd believe you. They seemed very similar to me.

TXGold

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 06:30:02 pm »
You mean this?

https://www.aerox.com/4110-725-quick-donning-high-altitude-diluter-demand-mask-with-comfort-fit-headgear/

and this?

https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/safran-aerosystems/product-169069-7760.html

They don't look all that similar to me. The big thing about the EROS system is that you squeeze the little red tabs on the mask and the harness inflates. When you put it on your head, the harness deflates and it sucks tightly to your head. Does the Aerox do that? It doesn't look like it, but maybe they make one that does?

Either way, seems a similar price point.

The EROS is just sexier for some reason  ;D

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2022, 09:48:49 am »
No, I have a different one - and yes, looking at the regulator assembly it's different from the EROS (but more similar.) The over-the head part on mine is a two-tube arrangement, not a single tube as shown. I can't find a picture of it right now.
500B, B200