News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting Tired  (Read 19010 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Getting Tired
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 04:24:31 pm »
I know unpaved operations will chew up the props. I haven't heard a lot about FOD issues, though.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:51:23 pm »
On thinking about it, I'd be more worried about sinking into the grass than any prop or FOD issues. The 690 weighs considerably more than your airplane, and I think the wheel and tire is about the same, or maybe only a little bit bigger.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 11:30:51 pm »
Do you really need to use reverse to get stopped?

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 11:46:02 pm »
No, definitely not. Beta is plenty.

Do you really need to use reverse to get stopped?

Glenn

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 05:37:45 am »
During my training we went into Corona all the time. That's a 3200ft strip and once I got dialed in, I was consistently turning off by about a little more than half. Takeoff about the same, or around 2000ft.

Another thing for you to consider is actually a 680V, 681 or early straight 690 if you're worried about unwanted maintenance. They're lighter (mine is 9400lbs MTOW), have no expensive windscreens and less calendar items and inspections.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »
Adam,  I don't know what you're talking for.  You need to be getting my plane finished up for me. :-)

Get to work,  and have a happy new year.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »
A century 680V or 681 would be a fine choice, in theory. In reality, unless Adam decides to sell you his or the State of Montana sells theirs, you simply aren't going to find one. Not one that is decent, anyway.

690As and Bs are plentiful, on the other hand, with plenty of parts and support.

Huck-Mag

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »
Glenn,

The 680FL I own and fly was contracted with the EPA and satisfactorily stood on 24/7/365 readiness and flew missions for thirteen (13) years.

That is not to say the geared engines are not challenging.  I've flown my plane about 100 hours in a year, replacing three leaky cylinders (two had bad rings and one a valve guide about to go) and having a gearbox rebuilt solely because the attachment bolts broke off inside and not because of poor performance.  I also note it sat for over a year before I purchased it, with the prior owner starting and briefly running the engines on a monthly basis. 

I believe Central Cylinder is the go to for the geared engine, gearbox, and Simmons fuel pump rebuilds.  They are also very informative and helpful on the phone answering questions.  I understand Central Cylinders got all the original geared engine equipment from Lycoming.

In all, I'm pleased with the performance and am currently having the windows replaced and avionics upgraded.  I don't fly 500 hours a year, more like 100.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 05:03:38 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I honestly don't know what I'm going to do.  I love my plane, just need to figure out if I have a dud or if it is just standard stuff I'm running into.  If the latter then I'll just need to decide if I'm ok dealing with it.  It's not like she's had me stranded much and the two times it did happen I was able to get her going within a day. 

I've walked away from her for a week so about ready to dig back in. :-)

Glenn
--glenn

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:45 am »
Yeah, an early 690A with -5's would be ideal for you, Glenn. Those are the ones you can still get decent deals on as everyone is -10 obsessed.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 09:55:56 am »
I'll keep my eye out for one.  Doesn't seem to be many to choose from atm.

Glenn
--glenn

Badger

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 03:21:03 pm »
I'm probably the wrong one to enter this conversation, since I've spent a TON of money on my commander this past year...   But, I absolutely love my 500B.  I would not trade it for any other model or type aircraft.   The engines have been very reliable (both past TBO) and the airframe (after last year's expensive fiasco) is in great shape.   I cannot remember the last time I had to scrub a trip due to a mechanical.    But, I also get the commander experts at Central Air to climb through it once or twice each year.    Good luck, Glenn.   I really hope you decide to stick with commanders.   I can honestly say that I enjoy this plane as much as any of the previous aircraft I flew (F-4s, F-16s, B-747s, -757s, -767s...and more)

Hey,  Happy New Year!!  Looking forward to seeing you in 2017!
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 09:49:56 pm »
Thanks and I am pretty sure I'll be sticking with commanders.   I honestly love my plane, just still trying to get in a groove with her.  Right now she's keeping me going on the work side but she's not made me cancel any trips.  It helps that I do most of my maintenance though :-)

Glenn
--glenn

Badger

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
I wish I had the ability to do most of my own maintenance, too, Glenn.  I do mostly "clean-up" stuff, although I pull the cowlings often and fiddle inside.  My concern over the past couple of years (since our airport ran off the local mechanic) has been the hassle I will go through on the day I find a grounding issue as I try to start the aircraft.  Fortunately, that has not happened (as I wrote) in a long, long time.  But, a starter shaft, etc, will be a huge headache for me without a mechanic on the field.  Fly safe.  I am so glad to have my plane home now and am ready to go fly!  Ed
Ed

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »
I'm sure Bruce could find one for you!

I'll keep my eye out for one.  Doesn't seem to be many to choose from atm.

Glenn