News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bad Cylinder Removed  (Read 8086 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Bad Cylinder Removed
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »
Well, we removed the cylinder that had no compression and it appears maybe the exhaust valve guide has an issue.  There seems to be brass particles all in the exhaust port but everything else seemed in good condition.  The valve is not burnt and the cylinder itself looks to be in good shape.  not really sure what is going on yet.  I called company I purchased it from and they told me to next day it back to them and they'd take a look and get it turned back around to me in 2 days at no charge, I just have to pay shipping.  Hopefully they can do this as I have to fly to Denver again on  the 20th.  A bit stressed getting everything done and trying to get ready for my 50th birthday on Feb 4th (all invited ) and have a ton of construction going on.  Add in having to work through annual on 310 (oh, and a bad right engine that I now have to tear apart) and I'm in no short supply of stress.

Anyway,  Going to try to remove hydraulic pump to rebuild again, prime left hydraulic pump to see if it is trashed or the cold weather just got the best of it and then get them both back on and a cylinder replaced by the 20th.. :-) . Fun Fun Fun...

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Bad Cylinder Removed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:12:52 am »
Remember 50 is when the FUN really starts and clearly you are already having way toooo much fun over there in Georgia.

Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:44 am »
Glenn, I had one cylinder on each engine leaking at the exhaust valve.  Both were ground down and new rings added and are doing great now (only 4 flights on them so far).  Part of my $14,000 annual...

Happy early Birthday.  Sure wish I could fly up there for a day or two to celebrate and compare notes.  50 is the beginning of your second childhood.  Enjoy it!

Ed
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »
Thanks,  They have my cylinder now and are repairing.  Said they'd have it back in the mail this afternoon so I'd have it either tomorrow or Thursday so I could get it back on.  Still waiting for an idea of what went wrong.

Would be cool if you could make it,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:02:30 am »
Well, after being quite shocked yesterday when told by the machine shop that they had already sent my cylinder back and that they did not find anything wrong with it, I decided a little more investigation was required.  I told them that we were not house wives bringing a car in for a tune up and that we don't pull cylinders just because we like to.  He was nice and said that he was going to stand behind the work, but I just spent $300 next daying this thing to them to have it returned with a new paint job.

Anyway, before I wasted time putting it back on the plane I decided to sit it on the floor and poor 100LL into the cylinder to see if any leaked out.  It was quite shocking the result, it leaked all out through the exhaust port.  So now I'm going to have to eat crow and do what the poor people do, book a damn flight on Delta....  Insert scream and bad language here!

I am going to call him again this morning and see what he'll do for me but I can't believe they have done this to me. :-(

Glenn
--glenn

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:10 pm »
 >:(

Happy upcoming Birthday- Although the broken exhaust valve should not be your present!

Huck-Mag

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:10:13 pm »
Sorry it will not help this time but you might try Central Cylinders next time.

http://www.centralcylinder.com/

The prior owner and I have used them for over sixteen years on my 680FL and no problems.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:01:12 am »
Thanks, that is who Morris said to use as well.  I will be going there from now on.

Glenn
--glenn

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:02:03 am »
Oh, and thanks for the happy birthday.  You should just fly on out in that super bird you have.
--glenn