News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Simcom - looking for Pirep  (Read 14741 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Simcom - looking for Pirep
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 12:23:43 pm »
I hear you Glenn, but if I do sim i'm technically good to fly 690's as well as my 680V (since they share same type certificate). If I only train in 680V, then unlikely that would count for 690's in the eyes of insurer should I ever step up.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:22 am »
Going to SimCom on Monday for 840 initial. Pirep to come.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 08:53:33 am »
Good Luck.. just remember to have fun and not take it tooooo seriously. No need to get stressed out you already know the aircraft better than most. And most likely better than the instructor you will have. Learn the things you need to that re-enforce your comfort zone and general flying skills.
Just noticed you wrote "840" not "690"... Why shift to 840? You have sights on upgrading to one??
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:05:51 am by SKYFLYER »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 12:57:45 pm »
Have fun!

840 initial will make you want a Jetprop even more!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 12:45:35 am »
Who says I don't have one lined up already?... ;)

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:02 am »
Alright Adam... Maybe you might need to forget what I suggested earlier about "no stress"... dig your heals in, fasten your seat belt and study like it is 1999 .... (no party)...
Get the 840 "systems" down solid then your sim time will be much easier.
But still make it a fun experience.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 12:46:42 am »
I've known him for many years but I finally trained in a 690B with Bill for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Then we flew a Shrike together across the country for 11 hours. It was quite enjoyable and highly recommended.  The only issue is that he's busy.  If you can make it work, I think any Commander pilot would benefit from flying and the ground school that Bill offers. He's a big Commander fan, a longtime Airshow pilot, a Commander owner,  a mechanic and all of that ensures you will find some useful nuggets in training in my opinion.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »
4th day at SimCom now, one to go. Have a good instructor, Juan Rodriguez, who flew Commanders in the Colombian Air Force before he moved to the US. He knows them really well and is also a working pilot and CFII ME Gold Star Instructor etc in real life, which is good. I'd recommend him.

Unfortunately, the training for the 840 takes place in a 690B simulator, so it's a little schizophrenic - we talk about 840 systems in the class, but what the checklist and what I'm actually flying is a 690B. And it's a really old sim. Motion is not very good, display isn't very good (only displays on one screen right in front of you, nothing in the others, so no peripheral imagery), all steam. Another very annoying thing is that the sim A/P doesn't have ALT hold, so your workload goes up exponentially in the emergencies. Having to chase the altitude when you have a million other things to do is kinda annoying. But I suppose it's good learning - that could happen in real life. Mainly done a lot of engine emergencies, looking to do electrical and avionics today.

I think this was the right thing for me to do and I've gotten something out of it. Also, since I haven't flown for 7 months, it's good to knock some of the IR rust off and get fresh currency and IPC. I just wish the sim was better and it cost less.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:00:15 pm by Adam Frisch »

Steve binnette

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »
Adam, the motion on a  sim can be overrated.  It's the instructor that makes it good.   I have had fantastic learning experiences in non moving sims with just control feel.

It is a great way to  get your instrument proficiency current in a condensed way..

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »
Sure is, I've learned a lot actually.

Was this the same sim you flew where there was no A/P alt hold? I remember you talking about the A/P being faulty or something on your SimCom session...

Steve binnette

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »
I was in the 1000 sim.  Sounds pretty similar to,what you are using.  It did have some start malfunctions we could simulate, that were unique to the SRL airplanes.

I forget what AP it had.