News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: One piece panel  (Read 6955 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
One piece panel
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »
Morris is not happy over my panel being one piece. Says it's a nightmare to service anything in there should anyone need to. I can't really see that being the case and I'm eager for the cleaner appearance of a one piece, but at the same time I don't want to make it so hard to work on it's a hassle either... What say you?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Jeff Johnson

Re: One piece panel
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »
Id assume it's only an issue when something breaks :)

At which point Morris will be very happy to take your money in time and labor.

My 500s comes in 4 parts and I was hoping someday to make it a much cleaner single piece of metal. 

They layouts are not confined to the old way of thinking. 

I might take it 1 step further and have a mounting point for electronics and then a removable front facade panel to trim it out.

Then everyone is happy

Just my 1 cent

Jeff

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »
I went with a one-piece panel. I don't know what you would need to get back there to service, but I agree that it would be more of a hassle. So far, in 6 years, it hasn't come up as an issue.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:11:56 am »
I agree with Morris.  I have had to go into mine a few times now to upgrade or fix stuff.  Being able to take things out and remove the center section was a huge help.  Having to remove the entire panel to get to something on the upper stack would seem a huge downside.  What does the avionics shop say about it?  Since they are the ones that most likely will be taking it apart soon to fix stuff they broke :-)

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:30 am »
I put in a new panel recently and specifically asked that it be 3 piece, for ease of servicing. My shop thanked me.

It was cheaper, too.
500B, B200

Roy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:26:37 pm »
Having been lucky to "shadow" Morris back in the 80's, I'd say #1: listen to the advice of Morris; it is highly valuable; #2: I've been the guy digging into these panels in that era (Commanders and other), when I was a much younger (35 years), more nimble and ~80 lbs lighter than I am today. A typical Avionics or repair shop will make you pay for the time they put into getting in there. By the hour. And if it takes 2X the hours, you or the next owner will pay, one day, sooner or later. 

I realize aesthetics and "pretty" is a nice thing to have, but if you were on the other side of this maintenance coin, you might re-think.

Not sure my $0.02 is worth $0.01, but thought I'd throw it in.

Roy