News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wearing me out  (Read 14709 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
Wearing me out
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:23:44 am »
Well, I hate to post things like this because I don't want to bash my plane, but....

I have found yet another bad cylinder on the left engine now and during inspection removed the left hydraulic pump due to it not showing any pressure on last run.  Turns out the pump has spent itself and no idea as to why.  There is absolutely not a drop of fluid in the main supply line and looking at the hydraulic flow charts in the service manual I'm confused as to why the right pump wouldn't be putting at least a little fluid in there (actually a lot).  So how the pump ran dry when it was working fine on the way up to Main a few months ago is beyond me.

I love my plane but am actually starting to think I made a huge mistake.  I can handle the routine maintenance and stuff that comes up, what I can't handle is buying $3000 pumps just because, and replacing cylinders like they were candy.  I'm also not sure what the deal is with the cylinders so not sure what to do about them.  Is it me running LOP or is it just the nature of the beast?  I know I am running everything cooler than if I were at ROP so not thinking it is that.  The cylinders that are dying are also the older ones, but shocked that they are all dying like they are.  I'm seriously an expert at removing and replacing cylinders and DO NOT WANT TO BE.

The airframe is in awesome shape, the panel is awesome, the interior is awesome and the plane flies like a dream.  I'm just not sure how much more time I can sync into the plane when I need to be flying it.  I'm actually considering just going back to my 310 so that I can actually fly instead of sitting here in the hanger and day dreaming about what an awesome plane I have :-(

Seriously depressed,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Badger

Re: Wearing me out
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:39 am »
Sorry to hear that, Glenn.  I wish I had an answer for you.  Could it be that the guy(s) who flew the aIrplane before you did not take as much care as you, and you are replacing cylinders, pumps, etc, from their poor techniques?  I'd hate to see you give up on commanders.  Maybe when you finally get it "cleaned up" you'll get your years of "low maintenance" flying.  I sure hope so.

Ed
Ed

Huck-Mag

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:08:44 pm »
Wow, that is tough.

I owned the plane for two years and have the same engines without much trouble at all.  I do fly ROP.  I know the prior owner whose multiple pilots flew it 24/7 for 15 years and no major issues, or at least none out of the ordinary for the many hours.

Hang in there!

Brent

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
I'd guess two things are going on: 1) you're working on the deferred maintenance backlog from the previous owner, and 2) you have had your own learning curve about how to work on the airplane.

I suspect that if you sell it, someone will be very happy because you will have worked all the bugs out! So I'd stick with it for a little bit longer.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:51:50 am »
I'm sorry it keeps on coming, Glenn. I've been there, but never fully as bad as you seem to have had it.

Perhaps not what you want to hear, but in my opinion: Sell both planes, buy my 680V. Seriously. I'll cut you a good deal and she'll be all ironed out and squawk free. You need to get out from old legacy pistons, they just eat you alive. The fire-breather like the one you have and the 685 or the 680FLP's made sense then, they just don't anymore with the cost of geared piston overhauls and avgas. Heck, my 520's GO-435 was $60K to overhaul and had a TBO of 1200hrs. That's $50/hr in engine reserves. TPE331 is 250K, but will run 5400hrs. That's $46K/hr! Never need an oil change, never need a cylinder or a top overhaul.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Roy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:49:27 pm »
Sorry to hear the ongoing struggle Glenn.

I have minimal experience with the IGSO-family, and that little time was with Morris literally smashing my knuckles when I was about to do something stupid (a move typical to my non-geared, non-supercharged engine experience I had prior) to the gear box or keeping the cylinders attached to the plane.

I was always paranoid about LOP but understand the concept and cooler operations so seems you're doing the right thing. But I'm still a bit paranoid about LOP (in any airplane, C310, Mooney 201, 231, AC, T210). Like DonV says, aybe youre getting out from under the deferred maintenance of Moe's tenure (nothing against Moe everyone!).

I'm with DonV. Keep with it, maybe you're close to getting over the hump on all the issues.

At the same time, sounds like Adam is throwing out an offer worth thinking about if that is within your budget/operating conditions at this point in life.  Guess he wants one of those 690's at Eagle Creek or something ;-)

Would love to see the posts you're back to your low-no problem flying ways in what you know is a superior plane to the 310 or other platforms (coming from an avid 310 fan but love the hell out of AC's way far over the 310). IT is so much fun following your travels and experiences.

$0.02 from a "wanna be" AC guy!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »
So the cylinder issue I do think is me catching up with old stuff and while it sucks I'm dealing with them.  The hydraulic pump though is what has me really bothered.  I personally installed it due to the old one being burned up.  I primed it and it has been working perfectly for a year.  Then on the way back from Main it just decided it had enough and quit working.    They are rare pumps and to have one burn up like that with no prior warning or issues is bothersome.

As for me giving up on the Commanders I'm not sure I can.  I had my hanger wide open with the lights on the other night while I ran to grab a bite to eat.  When we pulled back into the airport it was sitting there in the hanger and I told the mechanic I was with "and look how freaking awesome it looks sitting there, lets just fix it ;-)

I love my plane, just worried I'm never going to get on top.

As for Adam's offer, I'm actually considering it more than he knows.  I'm waiting to see how she turns out when he's done and then it will be wether or not it can fly in and out of a 2900' grass strip.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

As for Adam's offer, I'm actually considering it more than he knows.  I'm waiting to see how she turns out when he's done and then it will be wether or not it can fly in and out of a 2900' grass strip.

Glenn

I'll come prove it!  ;)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 03:46:43 pm »
Sounds quite tempting...
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:32 am »
Adam,  my man... you're welcome any time, even if you're not selling it.

I've got apartment here waiting for your visit.

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
Glenn, have you considered just proactively replacing any of the cylinders you haven't done yet? At least then you'd know what you have.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:49:50 am »
Yes.  That actually was the plan but was replacing as I rebuilt the old ones since they are all in pretty good shape other than valves.  I also found out that my airplane is the only plane that uses these engines and evidently always was the only one.  This explains why the cylinders are in the 3k range when buying them and why there are no new ones left.

I've sent 2 of mine off to get rebult and will get the plane going when they get back.  Then I have 3 more to send off for some extras and will most likely continue to cycle through until they are all done.

My only real concern at the moment is why the pressure pump died on me as that is bothersome.

Glenn
--glenn

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 11:27:37 am »
Did you ever get the pressurization working?

Huck-Mag

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:42:21 pm »
Glenn,

Did you send the cylinders to Central Cylinders this time? Besides our AC 680FL, FLP, and FP, I only know of Queen Airs using the IGSO-540. 

At annual, I'm going to send both Simmonds pumps there for calibration.  My mechanic says there are magic beans in them. :-o  When I start a descent, left engine EGT instantly rises and cries out for more juice.  It generally runs just a bit thirstier (not sure such a word) than the right engine. 

Suspect, that like most planes, there has never been a routine fuel calibration by the numbers. 

My T210 manual says it should have done every year but most only have it done when there is a problem.

Brent

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 07:19:29 am »
I sent these to Certified Engines in FL since they were so nice about sending me pushrod replacements for free to get my other issue solved.  Morris gave me their name and they also rebuild them.  Morris told me to stay away from sending off the Fuel Pumps because most places would just screw them up but I would also like to get them tweaked as mine are definitely off.  I'd also like to find a part number for the damn gasket that lets you clean them like the service manual tells you to do every 100 hours.  The service manual tells you to do it but neither it nor the parts manual has part numbers for anything on it.  Awesome!

I also have Central Cylinders info for the next couple cylinders I send out which will be soon.  Please check back and let us know how the rebuild goes with your pumps so I can figure what to do with mine. :-)

Thanks,

Glenn
--glenn