News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Series start issue  (Read 5346 times)

MikeDelta

Series start issue
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:17 am »
Hi guys, first post from a low time TPE331 driver  ;D

I have trained on the -5 in hot conditions where we used series start to keep the starting ITT down.

In my current job I wanted to use the series start in winter for obvious reasons. However, when trying to start in series the starter cuts off (some breakers can be heard) and I have to abort the start. No CB's pop and all seems normal afterwards. Parallel starts work just fine.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this might happen? I'm sorry I don't have more details, it's been a while and I haven't tried it since. I could replicate if I know what to look for, but otherwise, I prefer to avoid the series start.

The aircraft has had some issues with the Distribution Bus CB after standing outside in cold and rain. Before we bought it it was standing in UK weather for quite some time, poor thing. Fortunately it is hangared now. The electric wiring also 'needs some work' after inspecting it visually... However, I suppose there must be a specific reason for this issue.

Thanks

donv

• Administrator
Re: Series start issue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:02:24 pm »
I would guess it's an issue with the series start relays. They don't get exercised much (unless you do a lot of series starts), and they can stick, and not close.

When does the starter cut out?

MikeDelta

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:36:24 am »
Hey, sorry for late reply.

Well, I cant tell from memory. Next time I fly it, I will film it with the GoPro.

Currently I'm working on a new checklist. In the old one the previous operators crossed out items on the official TwinCommander checklist, mainly leaving the generators off for start and pushing the DISTR. and CONT. TIE CB (tieing the busses I suppose). The plane is survey modified and has a Keith Freon installed (which I don't use).

I have reached out to the previous owners for some clarification. I will get back to you with an exact description.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:53:25 am »
I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with the bus ties. I assume this is a 690?

The generators are off for the first start, after that turn the operating engine on. They are off for a GPU start. I can't remember what is powered during a GPU start, but it's possible they were doing a lot of GPU starts and trying to work around something there.