News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What's involved in converting an airframe from -5 to -10?  (Read 15986 times)

Bruce Byerly

Re: What's involved in converting an airframe from -5 to -10?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:17 am »
I believe the only practical way to convert the airframe today is with a Twin Commander STC. It's a great kit that includes all of the airframe mods required. In addition to EGT gauges, fuel enrichment mods, exhaust stacks, and firewall mods, the installation is on he order of 500 hours of labor unless it's an 840/900.  It's a substantial mod in any case and there's no way to shortcut it as far as I know. Some of the early versions outside of the Twin Commander STC used smaller exhaust which did not work as well.  This was also true with the B100. The big header is important.

Hi Neil - nice to see you here - how are you?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 08:15:02 am »
Thanks Neil.

Can you speak of the speed and climb improvements you saw on the Super 5 over the standard -5 engine? I heard it was a 285kts plane, which is pretty close to -10 performance.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

nrosoff

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 09:41:27 am »
Hi Bruce.  Things are great.  Flew the Commander a lot this year, next trip is to Oshkosh. 

Interesting that you mentioned the larger exhaust stacks.  When I bought the plane it had the larger stacks, but the prior owner just cut the old skins to fit around them.  Exposed the unfinished bend and did not look good.  Had the skins replaced during the upgrade.

Adam.  Never flew the plane with the original -5's.  I did fly the prototype G950 1000 with regular -10 for my transition (with Hugh Davis).  The climb and cruise where close to the same.  In the cooler months I see 305 ktas at 30,0000 feet.  During the warmer months around 295 ktas. 

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »
Good deal - hope to see you at OSH.  I planning to fly a Shrike on the 24th for the Hoover tribute. Formation with a P51 and an F86 I think. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »
Just so I understand, are you saying that the Super 5 conversion is physically the same as the Dash 10T?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
Yes - a small block is a small block. Identical sizes. The

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:08:39 pm »
Actually, what I meant by "physically the same" wasn't the external dimensions, but rather that it's the same exact thing, inside and out. I.e. the hot section is the same, as is the compressor section.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 01:35:31 pm »
Actually, what I meant by "physically the same" wasn't the external dimensions, but rather that it's the same exact thing, inside and out. I.e. the hot section is the same, as is the compressor section.

Maybe, I think it depends.  There were super 5?s with the small exhaust pipes as I recall. The would indicate a different burner can.  The -5 and -10 Compressor section is the same for sure.  I believe the rest of the hot is the same though the -10T bulletin likely specified some extra parts. Reminds me of the time a ?1000? showed up on the ramp not too long ago. Trouble was it had 900 exhausts. What do you know, a stolen 900 is found and a ?1000? serial number is lost . . .

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 02:13:12 pm »
That's pretty funny about the 1000/900. Not all that surprising, though!

Maybe, I think it depends.  There were super 5?s with the small exhaust pipes as I recall. The would indicate a different burner can.  The -5 and -10 Compressor section is the same for sure.  I believe the rest of the hot is the same though the -10T bulletin likely specified some extra parts. Reminds me of the time a ?1000? showed up on the ramp not too long ago. Trouble was it had 900 exhausts. What do you know, a stolen 900 is found and a ?1000? serial number is lost . . .