Login  |  Register

Author Topic: donv  (Read 28586 times)

donv

• Administrator
donv
« on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:57 am »
Hi--

Thanks for inviting me over here!

I've been around Turbo Commanders most of my life. My dad bought an 840, and then a 1000, new in the early 1980s. One brother ended up as a part owner in a large Commander service center for many years, and another owned a 500S and then a 690B (he now has a Citation, but I forgive him!).

Over the years, I've flown everything from a straight 690 to a 1000B, with a bit of Shrike time thrown in there. I've done charter, corporate, and ferry work in Turbo Commanders, as well as Learjets and various Falcon models.

Presently, I own and operate a 980, and have since 2011. In the past, I've owned an Aerostar and a Baron. Oh, and a few taildraggers as well.

I look forward to contributing to the site. Thanks for hosting!

Don

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: donv
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:08:01 am »
Thanks for joining, Don!

Please visit often with any stories or info on your 980. Any of the Jetprops are my longtime goal to own, but for now the allowance will only cover an early 680V.

Does your 980 have a combo of bladders and wet wing, or is it all bladders?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:01:52 am »
It's a combination. The wing is sealed, and wet, but the fuselage has bladders. Unlike a 690 (or, I assume, your 680V?) it doesn't have a center fuel filler, and the tanks are separated. There is an interconnect which you can open to balance fuel, but it's normally closed.

The difference between the "long range" 840 and 980 and the "standard" system is the addition of an additional bladder in the fuselage. I believe all 1000s have the additional bladder.

Robert Anderson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
Hi Don

What Falcons did you fly  I have time in the old 20 and retired from it at age 67

R

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »
I flew Falcon 10s and 50s. I always wanted to try a 20!

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:12:06 pm »
Don - how much do you spend per year in maintaining the 980, give or take? Just a ballpark.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:59:21 pm »
Last year was a little over $30k-- maybe $35k at most. And that actually included upgrading the landing lights to LEDs, which I didn't need to do. However, I didn't have any gear or prop overhauls last year.

I try to fly under 150 hours per year so that I only do one inspection each year-- I think I flew around 100 hours last year.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:41 am »
Thanks Don. That's what I figured about. I know the gear is about $14-15K to do, but how about the prop? And what are the intervals? Do you have the Harztell wide chords, or the Dowty's?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »
Gear is actually highly variable. I think my gear came in around that, or a little less, but my airplane has always been very well maintained throughout it's life. A friend with a 1000 had a much more expensive gear overhaul... The interval is 5 years (or some number of landings, which I'll never come close to).

I have the Hartzell wide chords on my airplane. They are a 5 year overhaul as well (or, I think, 3000 hours). I put them on new when the Dowtys came due for overhaul. The Hartzells are quieter and give me about 10 knots more speed-- I always see 290+ at FL280, and in the winter will easily get 300, but that requires running right on top of the barber pole.

The Dowtys aren't bad to overhaul, if the blades will pass inspection. If they won't, you have to buy a new prop (well, in theory you can replace just the bad blade, but I don't think they are available). I sold my Dowtys for around $5k, I think, un-overhauled but with blades which appeared to be good.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:22:25 pm »
I should add that my airplane is under 4000TT, and has consistently been flown about 100-150 hours per year it's entire life. I'm only the third owner. All of that helps with the maintenance, for sure.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:37:54 pm »
Here is a picture of the 980, in Hawthorne last week.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 07:40:39 pm »
Nice Don! I'm in at Hawthorne all the time. Or at least I used to, now I'm kind of planeless. You come there often?

I used to service at Security Aviation with both my piston Commander and the Aerostar. IU'd love to use them again with the turbine, but for some reason they need to send a mechanic to school for to be able to work on it, which doesn't make sense on a model that's not very common. So I'll have to move on to another shop for the bigger stuff at least. Western Jet at Van Nuys that you recommended - I'll feel them out. If not there's always Morris in Stockton, but it's a bit of a haul.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:58:03 pm by Adam Frisch »

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26:07 pm »
I hadn't been to Hawthorne in years. I think the last time was in a Lear 35.

I do get to Van Nuys and Long Beach once in a while-- probably once a year each. Headed to Chicago tomorrow...

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »
If you see Bob Mays around Western Jet, tell him hello for me! Flying the 980 home with him and Norm Ralston (and going to dinner with them the night before) was a real highlight of my aviation career.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:12:53 pm »
Don - can you RSVM your 980?