News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Commander 560E  (Read 17812 times)

craigcardell

Commander 560E
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »
I'm a Mooney pilot who happened to have a Commander 560E fall into my lap.  Initially, I was going to sell it and move on with my life.  After being around the ole' girl for a few months I've decided to keep her and return her to her glory days.  I just started the annual inspection and working hand-in-hand with my A&P to learn all I can.  I'm hoping to pick up additional information from you guys and learn even more.  Can't wait to meet everyone!

Stephen Matusick

Re: Commander 560E
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:19:41 pm »
She's a beauty! Great job being able to do an owner assisted annual- I'm hoping to do the same when I pick one up! Welcome to the forum!

Steve

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:46 pm »
Hi Craig!

Good choice. The 560E is a great performer with great range. It's going to takeoff really short and climb well. They're big pussycats. Stall speed on my 520 was like 40kts, I'm not even joking. A great bush plane that can also be a long range traveller.

What does it need done?
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

craigcardell

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »
It's flyable now.  Sat for several years and fired right up.  We flew it from previous airport to it's new home at 4A7 (Tara Field) with no issues.  After I put some time on her I'm sure things will show up that needs repair or attention.  Everything on my "to-do" list for now is tidying her up such as new windows, new interior, new paint and modern avionics.  The aircraft has a few good mods already such as pilots door, winglets and flap gap seals.  I think it's going to a great candidate for restoration.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:43:59 pm by craigcardell »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:38 pm »
She looks great! Always had a soft spot for the bathtub nacelles. Please post some more photos.

The flap gap seals can add between 5-10kts in speed, so they're a good mod. But bizarrely, they do increase the takeoff roll slightly. All that leaking air in the gap acts as a slat and creates more lift somehow.

craigcardell

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:16:41 am »
Interesting fact on the flap gap seals; never would've thought that.  I'll take the additional airspeed any day though!  I'll definitely post some pics as I go through the restoration process.  She's completely stripped down for annual and not very photo worthy (the interior was a wreck as well as instrument panel) and I've already removed all windows, interior, and insulation.  This Thursday I'm going to add sound proofing, install new windows, and open up inspection covers.  I'm scheduled for new interior in January and will start rebuilding instrument panel as soon as the annual is complete.  Feel a little crazy as I just finished a complete restoration on my Mooney 231.  Guess I felt the urge to dump more money into my hobbies.  lol

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 11:26:23 am »
Funny how small the world is.  I am at 7 Lakes and plan to bring my 680FP in within the next few weeks if all goes well.  Would love to meet you and check out your plane.   I actually grew up at Tara when it was still called Bear Creek.

Did you happen to know Frank Hancock?  He was my granddad and flew out of there for years.  In fact I still have the 1939 J3 Cub I learned to fly in and it has an old Bear Creek patch on its tail.

Anyway, would love to meet you some time.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

craigcardell

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 12:04:38 pm »
It is in deed a small world.  We were talking about 7 lakes this  morning.  A buddy of mine looked at a house there last year and we Google earthed the airport.  Anyhow, I would love to see your 680 when it comes in.  Mines in a hangar at Tara, so anytime your around you're more than welcome to stop in.  I'll be at hangar all day Thursday and Friday working on her.  Also, I'm an Air Traffic Manager at Atlanta Center, so if you ever want a visit I can arrange it. 

Russell Legg

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »
G'day Craig,

Nice to meet you and congrats on taking on the 560E project. My son Ryan and I are also progressing (albeit slowly) through a restoration of our 560E (s/n 726) here in Australia.
Sounds like yours had the benefit of an Air Centre upgrade at some time in its life with the extra door fitted etc etc.
What are you doing for parts, props and engines?

Stay in touch!

Cheers

Russell

Russell Legg
560E s/n 726

craigcardell

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:30 am »
Nice to meet you too.  I made contact with Gary at Air Center, Inc yesterday and purchased all new windows.  Luckily for me, AIRINC is based in KCHA which is only a 30 min flight in the Mooney or 2 hour drive.  They have an extensive list of parts and hopefully I will be able to use them.  Other than AIRINC, I was hoping to make contacts on this forum to locate additional parts.  So far, my 560E's engines and props are looking good.  Both engines have approximately 500 hours SMOH and the props around 230 SPOH.  Fortunately, the props were swapped out a few years ago and do not have the bad AD.  Also, the spar AD was completed 16 hours ago.  My 560 was flyable with no major issues, it's mainly a cosmetic restoration to include an avionics upgrade.   Would love to see pics of your project, and if I can be of any help just let me know.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:00:11 am by craigcardell »

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:45:28 am »
I have a 4 year old son that I've gotten into a few control towers.  I'd love to get him a tour of the center over there.  I used to have a friend named Mike that worked over there but can't remember his last name and been a very long time so I'm sure he doesn't still work there.

I'll PM you my number and maybe in the next few weeks I can get over there to see you.  I'm in the Bahamas now until Saturday with the wife and kid and some friends we met up at Oshkosh this year so won't be able to make it over this week.

I'm hoping when I get back that everything is done on my bird.  It's been in the shop for the last 3 months and had quite a few things repaired.  She should be in great shape when I get her back.

Talk to you soon,

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

craigcardell

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »
Unfortunately, my Commander project has come to an end.  The gas was being drained from fuel tank and ignited.  So, if anyone needs parts please PM me.

craigcardell

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:21 pm »
For the Moderator.  If this needs to be moved to a new thread please let me know.  Thanks.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:42 pm »
Awww, man! That's devastating! What happened? How did it catch on fire? Was it during an engine run?

Sucks - hope you can get another one eventually.  :'(

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 10:51:50 pm »
Wow, crazy awful! Hopefully no one hurt? Good luck man!