News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Commander 560E  (Read 17873 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: Commander 560E
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 11:26:37 pm »
That's terrible! I'm really sorry to hear that.

craigcardell

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 05:15:27 am »
We were draining the fuel tanks and noticed the transfer container had a leak.  We stopped to clean up and somehow the vapors ignited.  After replaying the hangar video it took 1 minute and 10 seconds to put out fire.  Unfortunately this was just enough time to destroy the aircraft.  Also, we had just removed windows which allowed fire to enter cabin and melt most of the wiring inside.  Luckily nobody was hurt! 

Anyhow, I'm going to salvage parts to try make up for some of the loss.  If anyone needs engines, props, rudders, ailerons, winglets, etc please contact me.

I will be looking for another Commander.  I've owned this particular aircraft for 3 months and had grown quite an attachment!

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 07:54:09 am »
Oh no, that is terrible news.  I was excited about having someone so close with another Commander.  Now you're going to have to find another one.  I'm so sorry to hear the terrible news and sad there is one less Commander to visit with.  Was it just skin damage or burned through?

So Sorry,

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:11:30 am by ghancock »
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Russell Legg

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 08:06:08 am »
G'day Craig,

Very sorry to read about your devastating news there - I was certain that you would complete a great restoration. Glad you were able to contain the fire.
Once the 'dust' settles I hope you find another way to stay with Commanders...

Was the prop damaged?

Would certainly be interested in parts once you are in a position to talk in that space...what is your s/n?

Cheers

Russell
560E s/n 726

Steve binnette

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 07:00:16 pm »
Really sorry to see that. I will keep an ear out for people in need of parts.

Don't give out too many you might need them.  A parts plane can be a real luxury.

Peter Bichier

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 06:00:14 am »
OH Darn, I was reading this and now it's keeping me up!

So sorry you lost your 560E Craig.

Wasn't this Don Girod's old gal? what happened to him? he was in the TCFG forum and was quite active but have not heard from him for a while.

Did you ever find out what ignited the fire?

Hope you find indeed another Commander

Take care,

Peter

Badger

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »
Craig,  I am so sorry to hear of your loss!   Just glad no one was injured. 

Ed
Ed

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:09 am »
I believe they were installing insulation at the same time they were draining the fuel.   The bucket they grabbed had a leak and while they ran to grab another one it al lit up.  I think something about dragging the insulation across the floor or something.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Coby Hughes

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »
Dang I hate to see this! That's terrible! Glad no one was hurt. I have a 1954 560 with GO-480-B's and might possibly be interested in the props if you could get me the part number off the hubs and blades. According to what I've read, it should have the hubs I need, but my blades are 8433N, and yours might be 8833's. Its a long shot, but I had to ask. Feel free to call or text
Thanks and sorry to hear about your commander.
Coby
Tulsa, ok
918-645-7363
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:15:53 pm by Coby Hughes »
Coby Hughes
1954 560