News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GTN 750 Database issue  (Read 4670 times)

schrambow

GTN 750 Database issue
« on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:41 pm »
Haven't had time yet to call the experts or research this, but people that have the GTN 750 out there have you ever ran across this issue and if so, how to correct it?

donv

• Administrator
Re: GTN 750 Database issue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 03:45:30 pm »
Did you update it recently?

schrambow

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:50:24 am »
yep, i updated it and received this message after the update.  Need to reload the update and force it again to see if it fixes it.  It kind of an automated process so i need to figure out how to force an update now.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:55:42 am »
Depending on who you get your nav data subscription through (Jeppesen or Garmin), they should be able to allow you to download it again. I use Jeppesen, and have had to do that once or twice. Supposedly, they have a new system which ties the account to the unit serial number and will allow unlimited downloads (but only to that serial number unit), but I haven't set that up.

If that doesn't work (and I think it will), an avionics shop should be able to clear all the databases and start you over fresh. But I would guess re-downloading it will take care of it.

schrambow

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:56:27 pm »
I use garmin pilot for the 510 to upload into the gtn750.
But yes, i redownloaded the basemap and the error went away now.
The system is so automatic now, that if it happens again, the challenge is figuring out how to manually download in garmin pilot and forcing it into the 750.  I did it 2 hours ago, and already forgot how i manually did it again. :-[

Steve binnette

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 11:55:57 am »
That’s funny!  You sound like me.  I have an ability to dump info from my brain quickly once the problem is solved.

I figure the next time I need to accomplish the task the process will have been “updated”!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:27:49 am »
I just signed up for the system which allows unlimited downloads for the specific Garmin units. Should be nice if one gets messed up somehow. The Jeppesen guy was able to set it up over the phone, although he said it will be Monday before it takes effect.

Steve binnette

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 03:50:07 pm »
Never heard of that plan, might be handy.  When I have screwed up a transfer or download somehow jeppesen has always been good about giving me what I need.

This plan you have would save me a phone call at the very least.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 03:52:49 pm »
That is the whole purpose of it. It's to benefit Jeppesen by not having to answer those support calls. It doesn't cost anything, all you do is call them and read them some numbers from the System pages of your units. So you do need to be by the airplane when you call.

Steve binnette

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:32:36 am »
Thanks, I will make the change.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 06:41:03 pm »
A quick update on my experience: when I spoke with Jeppesen on the phone, they apparently put in the wrong serial number for my G-600 (I'm pretty sure they put in the serial number for my GTN750 for the 600, as well as the 750). So the 650 and 750 updated just fine (as did the GTN 625 in my Citabria), but the G-600 complained about the update failing.

Another call to Jeppesen, they figured out that the serial number for the G-600 was wrong, wait a few days, and now, today, everything downloaded and updated just fine. So all is good!

Steve binnette

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 11:36:02 am »
Good to know,  I had a failure of my g600 not related to updates.

I was taxing out with Barry for some training and I see the pfd side of my g600 go milky white then fad to black.

Nav side was working fine.  Once we got out to the run up area I remove all electrical power from the aircraft.  Generators off and batt off.

We waited a bit then powered everything back up.  It worked the pfd side looked good and we started to brief the departure.  Unfortunately in less than a minute it went milky white then faded to black again.

We taxied  back, no avionics help available on the weekend, I had to wait until Monday.

Ultimately the avionics tech just popped out the g600 and shipped it back to garmin.  I was told the cost from garmin for the overhaul/ exchange will be $2250.

This could have been a lot more of a concern in flight.   My copilot side has a six pack and I have a mid continent standby attitude indicator which works great, so not really an emergency but definitely an abnormal.  No reason not to declare an emergency if you want though.  Would depend on flight conditions I guess.

I am going to fly to Texas to complete my training and I think I will include some flying from the right seat using the six pack.  I have lots of time flying from either seat it is the six pack and the HSI that I could use some brush up on.  Should be fun.  Steep turns without a FPV on a old small attitude indicator, yikes!!!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 11:57:25 am »
This is a great topic! If you don't mind, I will start a new thread on partial panel because I think it's very worthwhile.