News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Garmin autopilot  (Read 21205 times)

donv

• Administrator
Re: New Garmin autopilot
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »
Bruce, would the G950 qualify?

Rich

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:25 am »
Bruce / Don,

I'm over in the UK and that info about the AP issue was apparently direct from Garmin UK via our Avionics engineers. The sticking point is the Selected Altitude parameter. My understanding is that the (in this case) G600 won't output this unless it is configured and coupled to an autopilot that will accept that information (rather than older ones where it just emulates FD commands or similar to "simulate" a preselect system.

I don't actually know yet whether the GFC600 will do it - I have asked the question.

Makes sense, I suppose, as ATC want to know what the aircraft is actually programmed to do and not just what you've set on the pretty little bug on your PFD (which may not have any bearing on what the AP is actually going to do!).

The real issue is that the whole regulation was written around an Airbus and we have been caught in it purely due to a cruising speed of greater than 250KTAS. Perhaps the first time a Twin Commander has been too fast for its own good!

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss further offline.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
If you're in touch with Garmin, you would think they could make the G600 output this via a software update. It would sell them a few G600s, I would imagine, as anyone operating a Commander (or Conquest, or older King Air 200) would need to upgrade.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »
Bruce, would the G950 qualify?

It doesn?t really have any better integration to the AP ALT select than a G600 but maybe the fact that it?s a 2100 AP may give the data, not sure. 

Rich - isn?t there an exemption available? Otherwise you?d be killing all kinds of planes off over there but maybe that?s the goal?

Rich

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 02:32:26 pm »
Eurocontrol did previously have an office which issued exemptions to the requirement for exactly that reason. However, my research has uncovered that it closed in 2009 when the regulation was originally supposed to have been implemented. Implementation has subsequently been delayed by many members of EASA, but the office was never re-opened.

Current exemptions will remain in force for the life of an aircraft, but ONLY until it changes ownership, apparently. The only route open to people now is to seek an exemption from each individual member state for their airspace, which makes it a bit more challenging to achieve!

kent4142

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 08:40:03 pm »
I read a twitter blog (or what ever you call it) from Garmin about the aircraft slated for the G500 and G600 autopilots.

There is a web address for adding our recommendations.  It is here:

Aviation.Sales@Garmin.com

All interested  owners should add the fleet or their specific aircraft.

Kent

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 06:25:13 am »
I'm curious is anyone has heard any updates on this?

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:21:43 pm »
Are you asking about the Eurocontrol requirement, or the Garmin autopilots?

It doesn't look like there is any news on the Garmin autopilots, but if you have an avionics shop that you work with, they might be able to convince Garmin to use you as a testbed aircraft. I know people who have done this in the past.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:59 pm »
I was asking about the Garmin autopilot. I don't think I can be a test bed as, while my aircraft is N-reg, it is in Europe. My avionics guys know what is going on with EASA stuff but not as much what is happening with FAA and US stuff.
Also, I'm in the midst of a rebuild of my previously pretty cool avionics panel, which was vandalized during an attempted theft. So, I'm not going to introduce anything complicated to the insurance funded repairs.
I did look into swapping out the G600s for the new touch screens but I wasn't blown away by them from what I saw.

Patrick Kenney

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 05:03:34 pm »
I could have sworn I read something about the GFC 600 being certified for the turbine commanders... or maybe I was just daydreaming?
Anybody have any knowledge on this front?

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 05:24:21 pm »
Does not look like the the Commander fleet is on the horizon currently... However there is a link for you to offer up to be a test bed..

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604258#additional.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 06:00:29 pm »
I would think Bruce would know if anyone is doing this-- I'm sure it would either be Byerly or Eagle Creek. Although Aero Air has a pretty good relationship with Garmin, but I don't know if they have anyone who would offer to be a testbed installation.

kent4142

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 07:56:43 pm »
I stopped by the Garmin booth at Sun-N-Fun, as usual, and talked to a guy.  This guy was different though.  His name is Patrick Coleman.  His title is Manager, Aviation Aftermarket Sales - Americas.

I told him we wanted the Garmin autopilot for the piston and turbine commanders, but we weren't holding our breath due to small fleet size, lots of variants etc.  His response was "never say never".  He didn't promise anything, and Bruce is probably right - it will be never happen or it will be a very very long time.  But he did mention the web site, and the place on the web site where we could offer a donor aircraft.

He also helped me with a technical glitch that I have had with my newish Garmin digital radar.  (That was something I have been chasing down for almost a year now.)

Sooooo, as my father used to say "the squeaky wheel gets the oil."  Everybody should communicate to Garmin (assuming we all want a Garmin autopilot.) that Commander owners matter!

On a side note.  I thought "we" the Commander guys should have more of a presence at Sun-N-Fun.  An airplane or two, guys hanging around chatting up the crowd.  (Bruce)

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 01:08:37 pm »
I made it to sun n fun for a day. Me David from OKC and saw his 500B plus another couple cool vintage models.

I would sure love to see the GFC 700 AP but given the costs and other priorities at Garmin plus the availability of the 2100 and relative reliability of the Collins and KFC300, I guess I am just not expecting it anytime soon.  Knock on wood, I’ve been flying around a Century III and it simply does a fantastic job flying the plane. On the other hand, you need to be a couple steps ahead of the plane’s analog brain when flying the older AP’s. 

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 01:21:49 pm »
Bruce nailed the issue. In some ways, I guess the Garmin autopilot would be nice, but my old AP106 works just fine. I wouldn't mind having altitude select, but I'm used to it now.

It would be hard for me to justify spending the money.